Verdict on Insta-Dry jumpsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Wet Ones,

My old Henderdson gold core 3 and 5 mil suits have been patched and re-stitched one time too many. I've yet to go on a liveaboard trip that didn't significantly damage one of these babies.
A glutton for punishment, I'm now considering the Instadry. Saw someone on a recent liveaboard trip diving with one and it looks much more substantial in terms of material and construction than the gold core.
Has anyone had one for more than a few dives who can report on its comfort, effectiveness and durability?

Thanks,

Regards,

I have one. I switched from a hyper stretch and it is TONS more durable than that. The grey on the shoulder of my buddy's insta-dry has gone black but the material is fine just the cosmetics have been altered. I like it overall. It is really warm. I have 40 dives or so on mine and it looks new. I can't think of a better suit for a liveaboard as you WILL have a dry suit for every dive.

I don't think you will be dissapointed and nor should you be for the price.

Enjoy,

Adam

I agree, just returned yesterday from Curacao and made three to four dives daily with the Insta-Dry. It is more durable than my aqua suede and much warmer. For ease on donning, I found getting both my body and the wetsuit wet worked best. Sure was nice to don dry with multiple dives and where's the stink?

peterjmaerz:
Hello Wet Ones,

My old Henderdson gold core 3 and 5 mil suits have been patched and re-stitched one time too many. I've yet to go on a liveaboard trip that didn't significantly damage one of these babies.
A glutton for punishment, I'm now considering the Instadry. Saw someone on a recent liveaboard trip diving with one and it looks much more substantial in terms of material and construction than the gold core.
Has anyone had one for more than a few dives who can report on its comfort, effectiveness and durability?
Thanks,
Regards,

Peter,

I've had my 3mm Instadry since fall of 2004, probably longer than anyone, although I switch to a 7/5 Hyperstretch in winter and go to a 3mm shorty in summer.

No doubt it's warmer than a 3mm Goldseal, because the material on the GS was not glued and it was thinner than most 3mm suits. The Instadry is the warmest 3mm I've ever worn.

It will hold up fairly well, but IMO it, like all Henderson GS & HS suits will not last like an old nylon2 suit. With the stretch and non-fabric interior of the GS and ID suits, they won't last me for more than about 3 years. But that's fine... I don't want a stiff indestructable suit! I still have 2 of those standing in my garage. :D

Kidspot, I'd never compare a wetsuit to gloves, regardless of the material they are constructed. Because of the very nature of gloves, I use Kevlar gloves 10 months of the year and that trashes them. The other 2 months I go with Kevlar-covered 3mm neoprene gloves and have just about trashed this 4 year old pair this winter.

Chad

Hey Peter:

Ron here, your boatmate from Cozumel years ago. My Henderson Goldcore did not last too long either.

I bit the bullet and bought a custom made suit from Wetwear at a dive show a few years ago. As expected, fit is great, but durability has also been good and the extra long zipper option in the arms and legs make it a breeze to put on/off.

They are in Hallendale which shouldn't be too far away from you. You might fit their "off the rack" suits and not have to pay the expense of a custom. Their website is www.wetwear.com.

Appreciate the feedback. Ron, good to hear from you. You know, I've seen the wetwear shop for years during my commutes to and from Miami. I'll have to check them out.

Meanwhile, thanks again.

Best,

For what it is worth.

4 or 5 people had the Instadry on our trip to Coz last week. All were very happy with the suit except one guy had issues with glue separation on part of the seams. Half the suit was glued perfectly but the crotch and other half looked poorly done. The crotch was where it had already separated. The rest looked like it had potential to separate.

I expect Henderson to warranty the suit in a smooth process.

Everyone agreed that they are harder to put on but worth the effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom