VEO250--Batteries affecting compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coco7

Registered
Reaction score
Upon first getting our VEO 250's, we found out that manufacturer supplied battery on one of them was magnetized and was messing with the compass. Oceanic told us to replace the battery. I had bought a spare battery from Leisure Pro, and it was fine. I'm trying to find another spare, but this time the battery from Leisure Pro came magnetized. I've resorted to bringing my dive computer into various stores and holding various brands of batteries against the compass to check for magnetism and can't find any batteries that AREN'T magnetized. Any suggestions? The compass will not work and spins erratically with a magnetized battery.

I called Oceanic and they said to try Sony, Panasonic, Varta, or Renata batteries. My local Batteries Plus said they carry Renata so I will try those.

I went to the battery store and the Renata brand batteries were all magnetized. Argh! Not sure about the "pulse duty", the manufacturer rep didn't bring that up. The brand I have in them now is Ultralast from LP and we've had 8 dives on them without trouble. But the Ultralast battery I recently ordered from LP was magnetized. Anyone know which common retailers stock Sony or Panasonic?

Hi, I am having a similar problem with a client's new Triple Combo including the VEO100 dive computer. The battery (and I tested it seperately below an Oceanic Compass) throws the compass out by at lesst 30 degrees. I checked the following battery brands: Reneta, Maxell, Energizer, Sony, Panasonic and all of them are magnetic. One Panasonic even has a north and south pole - magnetised! Though my battery supplier indicated yesterday that Sony and Renata do have stainless stell cases.

Anybody solved this problem? I am now breaking apart the triple combo into a double combo with a wrist compass for the client...

I can tell the battery is magnetized by holding it (in its package) over the top of the compass and it affects the compass direction. Same thing that will happen when you install it in the computer. No luck on finding a battery that will work yet.

I can tell the battery is magnetized by holding it (in its package) over the top of the compass and it affects the compass direction. Same thing that will happen when you install it in the computer. No luck on finding a battery that will work yet.

Doubt that the battery is magnetized. If the battery exterior is iron-based, then of course the magnetized needle in the compass will point at the iron in the battery, assuming the battery is held close enough to the compass. I have a Veo250 computer in a console, the compass being just behind the computer. The compass works fine.

That explains it a bit better. I was thinking they were using the batteries to pickup small pieces of metal like a pin or needle or metal shaving.. :)

With my older Prodigy computers I always had my compass modules mounted in the same console. Never really noticed any issues. Recently, I downsized my consoles to a single pressure guage.

I recently bought two new compass modules and I was amazed how sensitive they are to each other and pretty much any metal object you put near them. When I store them in my closet, I don't put them next to each other or with other metal objects. It probably doesn't matter at all but it doesn't hurt either. Can we say <anal>? lol

I've been debating with myself ( and loosing...) on what to do with them when it comes to mounting then on my BC. Any metal clip more than likely to alter their reading some what. And plastic clips don't tend to hold up as well. Typically I only use them for general readings by taking initial readings to and from land masses above water. Sometimes the visibility in Lake Travis can be less than a few feet. I've lost sight of my dive partner just descending a few feet and have to resurface and try again. If the metal alters the reading and the delta is always the same amount, then the readings are relative to when I take them. Now this might be an issue if you are asked to follow a specific bearing ( ie start here and head 257 degress) but usually this doesn't affect my scenario. Now if the delta changes during my dive significantly, then the compass readings would be useless at some point.

I'm thinking about sewing a strap to the connector on the compass and then attaching a brass clip to the other end of the strap. For now, I just tuck it in my pocket and dig it out when I need it, which is very seldom.

Interesting thread... SUBSCRIBE

I just purchased a used SWIV NavCon with the 250. I am told it may need a new battery shortly, so I would like to have the answer to this also before I have to go down that road!

Back
Top Bottom