Veo 180nx Vs Suunto Vyper 2 deco times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popo's dad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone, hope someone can help me on this. i dive on a Veo 180 nx and i love it, my buddy has the Suunto Vyper 2, this has cropped up in our dives before but it's starting to bug us now.
On a dive yesterday we were at around 38mtrs for 14 minutes, as we exited the wreck my computer showed 1 minute of deco time plus the safety stop, my buddies showed around 6 minutes plus the safety, he's recently reset his to be 50% more generous, on the way up my deco increased to a maximum of 4 minutes and my buddies to 13 minutes, by the time reached our safety stop etc i had cleared my deco and safety after we'd done 43 minutes, my buddy cleared his deco and safety after 76 minutes, quite a bit off difference, obviously i stay with my buddy until he's cleared, the question is this, does this sort of time difference between the 2 manufacturers seem correct? A few minutes difference we can understand, i know they're all based on different algorhythms etc and will vary. I have never dived to my computer for deco stop times as others have always been more conservative. Had i dived to my computer and surfaced when i had cleard 33 minutes before the Suunto, am i likely to still be alive or in decompression chamber, i know that different people can be more vulnerable to DCI than others but such a difference in stop times, can both be correct?
thanks
Sean

IMHO, the Oceanic uses a useful and safe algorithm. Suunto uses a very conservative one that does not produce better results for diving health than the Oceanic computers. Yes, Oceanic's is more "liberal" (relatively speaking), but it is not unsafe and that's the real issue, isn't it?

good computer in my opinion for singles or double daily dive with hours of surface intervals used it a long time without problems.

for liveaboard and many repetitive dive did get some bent symptoms while everything was OK for the compu. I will switch to a suunto RGBM for series of close repetitive dives.

otherwise nicely liberal maybee too nicely it is your choice

Back
Top Bottom