Venice Beach 8/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool! Got a cell? PM me...

Looks like I'll be there as well...... WooooHoooo!

Had a great time ya'll...... Thanks for teaching me how to find all those teeth !!!! Wooohooo, what a blast! We'll have to do it again soon. :)

Gorgegous weather, good diving, good friends. Vis was good for Venice and the fish were very interested in what we had to find. If I scooped up some bottom they were right there looking for stuff. I have no idea what they were eating, because I never could identify what it was. One time I picked up this little stick looking thing, maybe an inch long and the fish went nuts over it and it was devoured in 2 seconds. Good thing I got my hand out of the way!
Thanks to Wes for showing us that spot. I changed my searching tatics and I did better than the last time.
Baitedstorm, you gonna post a pic of your treasure? I enjoyed being your buddy, hope we can do it again soon!
Grier, as always, good diving with ya.
Fossilhunter, pleasure meeting you again and being able to chat a little bit. Deepsix and Knives, good meeting ya'll finally. And we will be sure to remind you about how hot you were 'round about January.

Heya Scuba_Jenny, turns out that tooth I found is a Megalodon (giant white shark). I took a picture of it, but can't seem to shrink it in order to post it (photo shop died). I'm glad we stopped and got those books, I've been going through all the teeth trying to ID them... Did you look and see what that tiny one was you found? I can't believe you saw it, very cool looking tooth...

I really enjoyed meeting everyone! Sounds like your second dive was better than the first. Great to hear. I was really bummed I had to cut out early. Hope to see you all on the east coast for a dive in the next month! Deep6 - hope you guys had a safe ride back to Canada.

What a great day and what interesting diving!

(And this is despite a big tire problem that made me later than usual. Thanks for your patience, Wesley and Vickie. You guys were even nice about it!)

Wesley was a great host, briefing us on the site and guiding us around to his personal hot spots. We all found lots of teeth, and Vickie, as Jenny said above, was a big winner with a Meg on her first trip out! Congratulations BaitedStorm - I’m proud and envious!

For those of you who, have never tried west coast tooth diving, it’s not nearly as bad as I had thought it would be. We had a ~75 yard surface swim, with depths in the 16-20 ft. range and vis of around 15 ft. (Vis was at least as good as in the quarries that I trained in, and it was warm! Sea life was different, with lots of sheepsheads, flounder, sea hares, and a few other fish that I haven’t ID’d yet. (Also there was an interesting little mollusk or worm that burrowed into sea bet and extended some sort of (~4” long) white tendril/tentacles from its shell. Any idea of what we were seeing?)

It was great meeting FossilHunter, DeepSix and CanadaDiveGirl(I’m not sure of your screen name – sorry if I botched it!) We also saw Kevin from Single Divers on the road and later in the parking lot at Venice. Good friends old and new and great dive buddies. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

So we had a great time diving and Jenny and I saw the heartbreaking hurricane devastation as we drove across the state from Punta Gorda. My thoughts, best wishes and prayers go out to those of you who are still picking up the pieces after that disaster.

I’m already looking at my calendar to see when I can schedule another trip. I’m hooked!

My best to all,
Grier

is that Tahitian or Hawaiian?

Translation?

in Tahitian 'Maitai' means good...I guess that is why the drink is called that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom