Venice - $168 fine for no flag..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy:
How dare you judge me and group me with people that break the law. I do not speed, do drugs, or break any laws! SInce you think its fine to judge people you don't know and know nothing about, then I guess you won't be offended if I group you with the rest of the jerks on this board, afterall you judged me unfairly.
Don't tell me, show me. Is not what I'm told, or know, is what I can prove that matters to me. So go ahead and classify me as a jerk if you so desire; you're right, it will just roll off my back. Tell you what though, in all fairness to the officers of other, less metropolitan counties in our state, I'm willing to concede that my perception is limited to Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, if you're willing to concede that you don't know how police officers in these counties behave; deal?

man what a trip. How could you all get so offended and argumetative by what someone types into a forum? Now maybe I know why I just like being a lurker...

No worries gang, some times folks don't know how to step back and read for content and read as personal. Fortunately thats like 1 in 5000 like that. :)

She wrote farewell #2 and is leaving scubaboard again... look in the whine and cheeze section.

FL_Chad:
man what a trip.
Hey Chad, how 'bout this for a trip...

This is an excerpt of Fla. Stat. 327.73, which lays out the noncriminal punishment to boaters who do not abide by the provisions of the Divers Down flag, a.k.a. Fla. Stat. 327.331(5)...

"u) Section 327.331, relating to divers-down flags, except for violations meeting the requirements of s. 327.33.

Any person cited for a violation of any such provision shall be deemed to be charged with a noncriminal infraction, shall be cited for such an infraction, and shall be cited to appear before the county court. The civil penalty for any such infraction is $50, except as otherwise provided in this section."

The section has no other provisions other than the $50.00 as it applies to violators of the spacing requirements from divers down flags. And the divers without flags have to pay $168.00!!!! Go figure!!!

Here's another kicker....the infraction is noncriminal, so a civil penalty is assessed, yet, "the commission of a charged infraction must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt[,]" which is the standard of proof of in a criminal forum. (Fla. Stat. 327.73 (6))

... here is an interesting site which details some states DIVE FLAG laws.

Interesting story on how the red & white flag started.
Notice which state the dive flag was invented in? :eyebrow:

Wendy,

As I stated to you in the goodbye forum, don't let him get under your skin. Let him believe what he wants to believe. You and I aren't going to change that.

As far as his comment about like firefighters more than cops, all I can say is if he ever has his house broken into, or his car stolen, or even if his neighbors are having a party at 3 AM on a weekday, let him call his firefighter buddies instead.

RonDawg:
As far as his comment about like firefighters more than cops, all I can say is if he ever has his house broken into, or his car stolen, or even if his neighbors are having a party at 3 AM on a weekday, let him call his firefighter buddies instead.
Ah, the power of professional loyalty!!!

Ron, let me ask you this, do you actively (meaning to do something to correct it) respond to a 3 alarm fire, other than to re-route traffic, or crowd control? How often do you hear of a police officer going into a burning building to save a life? More often than not it's a good samaritan, if it isn't a firefighter, who does. If you infer I have no respect for the law, you're wrong. I live by the law. But I believe that enforcement of the law is better achieved by example, not by the show of force of a piece of metal on someone's chest, or a gun on someone's waist. And as far as your scenarios, I can have a chat with my neighbor and perhaps achieve more, or I can call my insurance company and definitely achieve more to me personally than I can by calling the police. Heck..the cops are bound to show fashionably late anyway.

Scubaguy62:
Ron, I will pressume you're also a law enforcement officer

As we say in my line of work, "Good obs!"

So, let me ask you this, do you actively (meaning to do something to correct it) respond to a 3 alarm fire, other than to re-route traffic, or crowd control? How often do you hear of a police officer going into a burning building to save a life?

Well, there was the time when I responded to a burning apartment, but sadly I was not able to save the mother nor her 7 children inside. You see, her mentally disturbed husband thought she was having an affair, so as "punishment" he was going to commit the murder-suicide of his entire family by dousing the entire apartment in gasoline then setting the place ablaze. However, after lighting the match he chickened out at the last minute and decided to let his family die instead as he ran out the door. I was the second police officer onscene, only a minute or two after the first 911 calls came in, and a good 10 minutes before the first fire apparatus showed up. A total of 5 of us were there well before the firemen showed up.

As soon as I entered the building the heat and smoke were incredible and prevented me from getting closer to their apartment. Imagine turning your oven on to "broil" and leaving it that way for about an hour before sticking your head in...that's pretty close to what I experienced in attempting a rescue. Imagine covering your eyes with several layers of black electrical tape and that's what the visibility was like due to the smoke. Imagine sticking your mouth into the exhaust pipe of a running diesel pickup truck and that's what it was like to breathe that smoke. Fortunately, I did not need to be transported to the hospital, though I felt like I was coughing up charcoal briquettes for awhile.

However, there are officers whom I personally know that have done similar things, and have had lasting negative health effects. There's a Sergeant whom I used to work for (and have incredible respect for) that suffered considerable damage to his lungs after helping to rescue several people from their burning home, which helped to accelerate his retirement. I know officers who suffered first and second degree burns from other incidents.

While I am not going to engage in firefighter bashing, the truth is that while you would never expect a firefighter to do cop stuff like take down bank robbers, or find your stolen car (at least before it's become a giant bonfire in a bad part of town), it's not at all unusual for the public to expect a cop to run into a burning building to save someone. It doesn't matter that I lack the training and especially the equipment to do such a thing safely; the public sees me as an emergency responder and I am expected to do something, even though it could be suicidal. It also doesn't help that cops usually beat the firefighters to a scene, especially during the night, since we've already been up while the firefighters were snoozing away.

I can (and have) name several instances were cops have gone in to rescue people from burning buildings, and have even put out a few small fires (our fire extinguishers aren't big enough for the large ones); can you name any where firefighters have apprehended someone wanted by the FBI? How many of them have arrested drunk drivers BEFORE they killed someone? How many of them have taken someone to jail for domestic violence, and then came back and helped the battered spouse (usually the wife/girlfriend) obtain a restraining order in the middle of the night? How many firefighters go out and search the backyard of a frightened old lady who thought she heard noises back there in the middle of the night? How many firefighters run TOWARDS the man with the gun when everybody else is running AWAY? In my city, if there's even the slightest indication of violence (even if no weapons were involved), our firefighters won't go into a situation unless the cops have cleared it first.

And yes, there have been a few firefighters that have done "cop stuff." But they are much fewer and much further between than cops doing "firefighter stuff." And while few will demand a firefighter risk his life going into a "cop situation" (such as the North Hollywood bank robber that was allowed to bleed to death because it was believed a third suspect was still in the area), the public will not find acceptable a cop who just stands there and watches people scream for help from burning buildings, even though the firefighters themselves don't want us going in there as that means additional victims to rescue.

If you infer I have no respect for the law, you're wrong. I live by the law.

I never said you were a law-breaker. Anti-cop yes, law-breaker no.

But I believe that enforcement of the law is better achieved be by example, not by the show of force of a piece of metal on someone's chest, or a gun on someone's waist.

Are you saying the LAPD should have adopted a "touchy-feely" approach with the North Hollywood bank robbers?

There's a time for talk, and then there's a time for the gun (or other appropriate defensive weapon and/or tactic). What we use depends on the situation, and just about every department in this country has policies that determine what gets used when; they are often called "Force Continuum Charts" or "Force Option Charts."

And if someone has to put a gun to someone's waist...well that's piss poor officer safety tactics.

And as far as your scenarios, I can have a chat with my neighbor and perhaps achieve more, or I can call my insurance company and definitely achieve more to me personally than I can by calling the police. Heck..the cops are bound to show fashionably late anyway.

I'm glad you get along with your neighbors. A lot of people don't and that's why they call the police.

As far as dealing with insurance companies...if the claim is the result of a crime such as burglary, or theft, they will require a police report anyway. Many cell phone carriers are now requiring police reports to replace your phone at no charge, even if it's due to you leaving it on top of the car before driving off.

Ron, let me first commend your efforts in trying to save that family, but brother, you're preaching to the choir. I submit to you that you, or any of your colleagues are no different than anyone with a basic sense of good will. I too would have tried to save them and I'm not a cop. Please don't confuse basic human goodwill with heroism. What you have acknowledged is that neither you, nor your colleagues, nor perhaps any other good samaritan, had the "tools" to effectuate a rescue, even if one was available to effectuate. Firefighters, on the other hand, are better equipped for this.

You say I'm anti-cop, you're wrong. I am anti-injustice and anti-people who think they are above the law, and who choose to live their lives by the creed of "do as I say, not as I do." Should it matter if they are police officers?

I could careless what LAPD adopts; I don't live in L.A., but if I did, I would expect the police to respond with the same degree of aggression as they're faced, only in a way that, unlike the "perps," would have greater regard to the safety of innocent bystanders. Do you believe with the technology available to police departments today, such as FLIR, that it wouldn't have been more advantageous to everyone interested, including the officers that were wounded, to have let the guys go and catch them later, than to risk an all out firefight? You can't tell me that the LAPD is 100% beyond reproach in this area. I don't suggest that there should be no innocent casualties, although that would be everyone's desire, but perhaps you'd care to justify your argument to the Miami mother who lost her mentally challenged 49 yr old son, because some cop got trigger happy and shot him dead from behind because the man was being harassed by five (5) other police officers, and wished to break free from such harassment. Here's a man who was well known in his neighborhood, and get this, also well known by these officers to be mentally challenged. How much of a threat would he be to five (5) officers????????????????

To that is what I am anti. I realize that it's easy to criticize without having walked a mile in the persons shoes, but as I tell my daughter, the appearance of impropriety is sometimes worse than the impropriety itself. Oh and as far as the domestic violence you speak of, how many cases have you dealt with where deep enough investigation has revealed that the woman has been the instigator? Probably not many because they're not deeply investigated and cops just slap the cuffs on the man because of their own gender bias; he is the man; he is the "agressor." That happened to a close friend of mine and it was his wife who assaulted him; he was merely acting in self defense. You think that had any weight with the cops???????

If you care to discuss this further, let's do it off the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom