Vandenberg In Political Trouble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinking it in a nearby state probably would be the best "non Key West" resolution of the issue.:lotsalove: Sink it in New Jersey so when the businesses in Key West :dork2:are wondering where all the summer tourists are the answer will be simple.....they are diving on the ship you could have sunk here.:14::shakehead:

Some of the best diving infrastructure in the world exists in the area of Fort Lauderdale up to Lake Worth Inlet. It makes sense to sink it there :D

The idea is to maximize the number of divers that can dive her and outside of Key Largo to Islamorada, there's no greater concentration of year-round dive boats on the East Coast of the USA than Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Some of the best diving infrastructure in the world exists in the area of Fort Lauderdale up to Lake Worth Inlet. It makes sense to sink it there :D

The idea is to maximize the number of divers that can dive her and outside of Key Largo to Islamorada, there's no greater concentration of year-round dive boats on the East Coast of the USA than Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Nor greater concentration of active divers between Weston and Coconut Creek....

:popcorn:
:rofl3:
:wink:

I am go to hazzard a guess and say that the 2.4 million dollar difference, I believe they are looking for is to pay for the ship yard bill and to cover the remeaining fuelcosts. trtldvr, does this sound about right, initially reefmakers estimated it would take say 3 milion dollars to reef the ship from start to finish. Now fuel prices go up and also the yard labor goes up so now the account is 2.4 million down. Now they have a donation for about a million and they now need 1.4 to finish paying her off and bring here down here. In the mean time the banks are all on edge for different reasons and think they own the world and what they say goes so the bank (whose head apparently is not diver friendly) starts to question something and everyone automatically goes to panic mode. Hopefully a deal can be worked out with the judge saying that we now have a million they can have and will pay the rest on the next donation/grant etc. Even better would be if they can find the whole amount.

Yes, that is the general idea. Another reason for the increase is that the National Marine Sanctuary, who controls the area where she is to be sank, required a higher level of cleaning than has ever been done on a ship to be sank.

As grim as everything looks, don't give up hope yet. I was in a meeting this morning for the Safe Dive Initiative and spoke to a couple of the players. The bank may be flinching. It looks like the bottom line is that they (the bank) will lose more money with no chance to recoup any if they scrap the ship, than they would if they follow through with the sinking. We shall see what we shall see.

Safe dives
trtldvr
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

as someone who lived in key west for over a year and a half, i can attest to the fact that most, "conchs," are essentially stupid rednecks with money due to land value. they are quite arrogant about their status, which leads to the key point that they hardly give a damn about the opinions of people not born on the island.

part of the problem also stems from wealthy people who come to the island purchase a second or third home, but rarely live in them. these people couldn't care less about tourists, because they don't make their money on the island.
Sorry to hear... Severe waste of good real estate (on *and* off-shore)

So you're saying sink it at Quiet Waters Park? :popcorn:

This Dania Diver would prefer it to be dropped in Anne Kolb Nature Center... :rofl3:

Yes, that is the general idea. Another reason for the increase is that the National Marine Sanctuary, who controls the area where she is to be sank, required a higher level of cleaning than has ever been done on a ship to be sank.

As grim as everything looks, don't give up hope yet. I was in a meeting this morning for the Safe Dive Initiative and spoke to a couple of the players. The bank may be flinching. It looks like the bottom line is that they (the bank) will lose more money with no chance to recoup any if they scrap the ship, than they would if they follow through with the sinking. We shall see what we shall see.

Safe dives
trtldvr
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

Thats what I figured. Thanks for the info. I am used to the last minute uh oh, how did this happen and what do we do now? I wont get upset unless she is scrapped and broken up.

as someone who lived in key west for over a year and a half, i can attest to the fact that most, "conchs," are essentially stupid rednecks with money due to land value. they are quite arrogant about their status, which leads to the key point that they hardly give a damn about the opinions of people not born on the island.

part of the problem also stems from wealthy people who come to the island purchase a second or third home, but rarely live in them. these people couldn't care less about tourists, because they don't make their money on the island.

It's a 2 X 4 mile island...as someone that lives in a slightly LARGER tourist trap (i.e. Hersheypark) I can feel their attitude about wanting to bring MORE people to the island (i.e. their little hiding place away from the rest of the world)

The Conchs I've encountered wish that the Conch Republic DID cecede from the Union, and have no use for the ousiders for the most part. BUT...those that run businesses want more business, but are staying solvent on their own, as it is, and another attraction is just another annoyance...If this flys, wait until they open up Cuba's borders again!

The dive operators and divers seem to be the only ones that really want this thing to go forward...it seems like a losingbattle is being fought, unfortunately!

You deleted a post regarding the news archives ....... Obviously someone is trying to reduce your awareness of the issue?

:confused::confused::confused:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom