Vandenberg In Political Trouble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah but the Oriskany went from "dream to reef" in a much shorter time period.

I'm sure the Oriskany would have been sunk a year earlier if the EPA report had been completed in time, and that was only delayed because the person writing the report died and they couldn't get anyone else to complete it in time before hurricane season.

I thought there was a lot of Ok the DEP (for example)says we need to do this. When they were done DEP said oh and now we want you to do this . Then you need to do this now, type deal.

Ok there is hope on the horizon. I'll cut and paste the article. Don't give up just yet....

It isn't on, it isn't over," said City Commissioner Bill Verge of plans to sink the USS Hoyt Vandenberg off Key West to create an artificial reef and diving destination.

The ship is now docked in Virginia where it will remain at least until hurricane season is over. And then, it's anyone's guess.

Escalating costs and evaporating finances have stalled the Vandenberg project, and it's uncertain whether the ship will ever come to Key West.

It will cost $8.45 million to scuttle the Vandenberg according to the most recent estimate.

A bank consortium consisting of BB&T, Orion and First State Bank offered an initial combined investment of $4.6 million at the project's outset but scaled that back to $3.2 million when progress came to a halt. Other funding pledges include:

-- Monroe County, $2 million -- City of Key West, $1.3 million -- U.S. Maritime Administration, $1.3 million -- Tourist Development Council, $1 million -- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, $1 million

This leaves a funding gap of $1.85 million that needs to be raised either through private donations or more government earmarks.

District IV Commissioner Barry Gibson said the City Commission is "still interested" but that considering finances, the project "sounds like it's becoming an unreality."

But Verge was upbeat. "This investment will make money for 100 years," he told the Keynoter. He went on to project that free media coverage from the scuttling would be valued at $40 million, citing interest from "Good Morning America," the Discovery Channel's "Mythbusters" and other national and international outlets.

Jackie Harder, President of the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce and champion of the Spiegel Grove scuttling, said "sinking ships these days is very, very difficult...it's a real tough thing to do."

The total cost of sinking the 510-foot Spiegel Grove in 2002 was $1.4 million; $868,000 was provided by the Monroe County Tourism Development Council. The difference was made up by a $300,000 allocation from the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce Artificial Reef Committee and a medallion-purchasing program involving local dive shops including a $250,000 guarantee from Divers Direct. There is currently $98,000 left on the bank note which is due in 2013.

Harder said that the success of the Spiegel Grove project is due, in large part, to continuing community support.

Article

Hope on the horizon....but the first rule of scuba is "never hold your breath"

I'm still playing the Poweball...so if I hit that, I'm sinking it, and renting a sub to watch it!

I'm still playing the Poweball...so if I hit that, I'm sinking it, and renting a sub to watch it!

You will have a better chance of hitting the powerball then this ship sinking

You are probaably right on that one. :lotsalove:With the election pending and the bad news about the banks situation continuing it would be quite surprising if anyone political took the bull by the horns before the election. :popcorn:It is just too politically risky with the kind of money required when every other group competing for those funds will cry to the media that " they have money for sinking ships but none for {widows and orphans, day care, sewers, etc etc} :shakehead:.

I hope Vandenberg eventually makes it. It is too good a project to fail and most of the politicos involved know it...the problem is that it is too hard for them to explain in a 15 second news clip and way too tempting a political target in this age of political demagogs on "open mouth" radio and win at any price political operatives.

Pray for some political smarts and common sense to emerge after the November election.:D

I wouldn't be surprised to see some "other city" step in and come up with the funding to help sink this to benefit their community. Of course with the economy being "down", everyone's extra change is affected right now.

Regardless, it won't be sunk before December. The insurance company agreement had a clause in it that it couldn't be towed during hurricane season. that doesn't officially end until towards the end of November.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some "other city" step in and come up with the funding to help sink this to benefit their community. Of course with the economy being "down", everyone's extra change is affected right now.

Regardless, it won't be sunk before December. The insurance company agreement had a clause in it that it couldn't be towed during hurricane season. that doesn't officially end until towards the end of November.

Which is when I'll be there (11/24 through Dec 6th) PLEASE get that bugger there so I can at least see it before they sink it (and if I'm there when they sink it even better!)

Which is when I'll be there (11/24 through Dec 6th) PLEASE get that bugger there so I can at least see it before they sink it (and if I'm there when they sink it even better!)

Don't hold your breath on that one. :lotsalove:There is going to be a fair amount of work on this ship close to the sinking location before she goes.:coffee:

If she does get on track expect something in the winter or spring at best.:pinkdolphin:

Let us pray!!!:bananalama:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom