Vandenberg In Political Trouble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe Pensacola/Orange Beach, AL can come up with $2mil to buy it and sink it in the upper gulf, near the Oriskany...
Maybe we can drop it into Lake Lanier, here in Georgia...

- We'd get a nice local wreck to dive...
- It might displace enough water to bring the lake back up to normal summer pooling :wink:
- We could finally do wreck classes without having to drive to the coast...
- If we drop it shallow enough, maybe it'd keep those wake-jamming 50 foot Hatteras yachts, that should be in the Gulf, or Intercoastal, the hell out of our little lake...

(I wonder how many MH-47G Chinooks it would take to lift the thing...)

So the dreams of having a Spiegel Grove quality wreck in Key West are basically shot. Guess I won't have much reason to go farther south than Islamorada anytime soon.

That said, if you ever take up technical diving, you'll look at Key West diving differently. They have a nice array of technical wrecks :D

I say bring it up here to Southeast Alaska! Granted, we probably wouldn't spend $15,000 let along $1.5 million to get it ready, but I really want some good accessible wreck dives up here :)

VANDENBERG: Commissioner George Neugent made the motion, seconded by Commissioner Sylvia Murphy, to take the Vandenberg artificial reef money set aside by the county and put it toward the design of a sewer system for the Lower Keys. Motion passed, if the city of Key West backs out of the project, which looks likely.

The ship is sitting in a yard and about $1.4M is owed (not sure for what...cleaning, dockage, etc.). The ship is worth about $2M as scrap metal.

I thought that most of the money was supposed to be coming from the state in the begining of the new budget year?

VANDENBERG: Commissioner George Neugent made the motion, seconded by Commissioner Sylvia Murphy, to take the Vandenberg artificial reef money set aside by the county and put it toward the design of a sewer system for the Lower Keys. Motion passed, if the city of Key West backs out of the project, which looks likely.

The ship is sitting in a yard and about $1.4M is owed (not sure for what...cleaning, dockage, etc.). The ship is worth about $2M as scrap metal.

I had 'heard' Texas was ready to step in and 'make bail' for the Ship and take possesion, and basically Gov Crist interviened to gaurentee the 'loan' to give Key West time to get their act together... Its literally time to **** or get off the pot.... The ship is worth so much more in economic benefit to whatever community wants to foot the scrap $$$.

Key Largo?
Pompano?
Miami?
Pensacola?
Texas?

All have artifical reef areas, and the ship is cleaned, ready to go down... Turning it into razors would be a monumental waste.....

I thought that most of the money was supposed to be coming from the state in the begining of the new budget year?

from the post above yours, it sounds like the city of Key West just left the state and the shipyard holding the bag for the bill......

Key West doesn't deserve this wreck now... send it somewhere else.

from the post above yours, it sounds like the city of Key West just left the state and the shipyard holding the bag for the bill......

Key West doesn't deserve this wreck now... send it somewhere else.
I agree. Screw 'em. They're obviously oblivious to the economic boon they're turning away...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom