Vandenberg -- a few observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaQTX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First of all this is an outstanding dive. I've done the Oriskany, the Spiegel Grove, the Duane, the Bibb, the Aguila in Roatan, and a mine sweeper (forgot the name) in Cancun and can tell you that this wreck is amazing, even in its infancy.

Here is a tip that will be useful. If you find yourself moored on the southernmost buoy, you'll be going down on the bow and you'll end up on the wreck at 95 feet. If the current is also from the south, it's gonna make for an interesting air situation, especially if you try and swim back to the buoy connection (and you may have to depending on the current). For example, we got paired (2 plus 1 - not really a pair) with a relatively new solo diver and I was concerned if he was going to make it back up safely. fortunately, with the help of the emergency deco bottle, we got him up safely, but probably with less than 100 psi.

If we had been moored on the north buoy, it would have been much easier (with the current from the south). the wreck topography is shallower towards the stern.

Having said all that, it is so, so much fun. look for the Duval Street sign to the south of the Bigger radar (it's on an pole or an antanea at depth around 70 feet) for a great photo op. The Conch Republic flag on the port side, mid wreck (I think) is also a great pic. Have fun! Be careful!

We went with Captain's corner. I had used them before and I like them. (I left my fins on the boat in '07 and they shipped them back to me, on a promise that I would pay them back for shipping.) As a practicality, their boat, the Sea Eagle, is 60 foot boat, which is a good thing to be on if the wind picks up. We ended up with 6-7 foot swells after the second dive and I was glad i picked the boat that I did.

First of all this is an outstanding dive. I've done the Oriskany, the Spiegel Grove, the Duane, the Bibb, the Aguila in Roatan, and a mine sweeper (forgot the name) in Cancun and can tell you that this wreck is amazing, even in its infancy.

Here is a tip that will be useful. If you find yourself moored on the southernmost buoy, you'll be going down on the bow and you'll end up on the wreck at 95 feet. If the current is also from the south, it's gonna make for an interesting air situation, especially if you try and swim back to the buoy connection (and you may have to depending on the current). For example, we got paired (2 plus 1 - not really a pair) with a relatively new solo diver and I was concerned if he was going to make it back up safely. fortunately, with the help of the emergency deco bottle, we got him up safely, but probably with less than 100 psi.

If we had been moored on the north buoy, it would have been much easier (with the current from the south). the wreck topography is shallower towards the stern.

Having said all that, it is so, so much fun. look for the Duval Street sign to the south of the Bigger radar (it's on an pole or an antanea at depth around 70 feet) for a great photo op. The Conch Republic flag on the port side, mid wreck (I think) is also a great pic. Have fun! Be careful!

Thanks for the good report. I can not wait to do a fun dive on her. There is a lot of good photo ops on her. Thanks again Red

It's a great dive, but treat her with respect. If the current is ripp'in, it's not too hard to get blown off the wreck. If it's a fast boat, they should be able to pick you up before you drift into Cuban waters....:D

I am assuming the north mooring buoy was being utilized by another dive charter? That seems to be a fact of life with popular wrecks. Didn't the solo diver have an alteranative gas source (pony bottle) other than you two?

I'm really confused. The Vandenberg lies almost exactly east and west. The northernmost buoy (number 2) has been out since it was run over by the Sea Eagle. The Bow is to the East, which is usually up-current, but not always. The stern, to the west, is usually down current, but not always. Sometimes, the current is north to south, or directly across the wreck. Yesterday, there was no current at all.

With competent divers, if the current is from East to West, put all divers in on number one (the one on the bow), and let them drift the wreck. Pick them up on number 6 or if there is a boat on 6, pick them up live. Makes for a fun dive.

Frank

I'm really confused. The Vandenberg lies almost exactly east and west. The northernmost buoy (number 2) has been out since it was run over by the Sea Eagle. The Bow is to the East, which is usually up-current, but not always. The stern, to the west, is usually down current, but not always. Sometimes, the current is north to south, or directly across the wreck. Yesterday, there was no current at all.

With competent divers, if the current is from East to West, put all divers in on number one (the one on the bow), and let them drift the wreck. Pick them up on number 6 or if there is a boat on 6, pick them up live. Makes for a fun dive.

Frank

That's makes good sence I think. I am a bit confused with the meaning of "pick them up live". Deploy lift bags and ascent without mooring line? Thanks!

Last edited:

Frank

Just out of curiousity, what is the buoy protocol for private vs. charter boats? Are there any restrictions or reservations in place? How do the commercial charters know they will have a buoy to go to, or do they?

Capt. Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom