Valves "full open" or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember reading somewhere that fully open was correct. Almost everyone I dive with including instructors like to go full and then do the half turn back. Is this still the standard for PADI? I am going through the IDC in a few months, so I am sure it will be covered there.

I believe the 1/2 turn back thing was based on old valve designs that are no long in wide usage. My wife just went through PADI OW and I believe she was taught 1/2 turn back.

That is what I meant, just a slight turn, not actually half. I prefer to open it all the way. Interesting what my CD will have to say about this.

Thanks,

AZ

My first experience with a jammed valve could have been ugly. It was on a tour boat in Australia, where the DMs set up the equipment. I went to check my tank and tried to turn the valve and it wouldn't turn. I asked the DM if he had opened it, and he said yes. I wasn't happy, and decided I wasn't putting the gear on until that knob would move, and as it turned out, the valve was shut. I suppose I would have discovered that on pre-breathing the regs, but in those days, it's quite possible I might have been hurried off the boat and not done a thorough check. One of Lynne's personal basic rules, therefore, is that all valves must turn.

I've had a couple of valve drills in doubles where I could not turn a post, and it was simply because I had opened it too hard. I don't turn things with power (I don't HAVE a lot of power in my hands) so it doesn't take much to jam a valve enough so it's difficult to operate underwater. The position in which one is using one's hands in manipulating valves behind one's back is not one of good mechanical advantage, anyway.

I open right-hand or left-hand valves all the way on, and back 1/4 a turn. If diving with an isolation manifold then it is exactly 1.5 turns on every time, which for my range of motion underwater is three 1/2 turns.

One of Lynne's personal basic rules, therefore, is that all valves must turn. ... I don't turn things with power ..

I couldn't agree more with these two rules. Never crank a valve all the way open or off - its unnecessary! It also shortens the lifespan of the valve seats.

My wife just went through PADI OW and I believe she was taught 1/2 turn back.

My PADI OW instructor taught 1/4 turn back couple of years ago. I have also encountered a boat captain fiddling with my valve, and when interrupted telling me that I forgot to turn it back 1/2 a turn... That capt will not get my business again - though that was not even the No 1 reason...

I had a DM in Coz once on the first of several boat recreational dives 'mess' with my tank valve once I was positioned to enter the water....I told him to keep his paws off my tank valve---and he did on the balance of the trip!

I remember reading somewhere that fully open was correct. Almost everyone I dive with including instructors like to go full and then do the half turn back. Is this still the standard for PADI? I am going through the IDC in a few months, so I am sure it will be covered there.

It's not a PADI standard, and I don't think it's ever been. And no, it won't be covered in your IDC unless your CD is....never mind.

I dive my valves fully open and then nudged back a hair. In Mexico I nudge them back a few hairs. Last trip there the valves got stuck in the open position. I thought I was going to have to drain the tank to get my reg off of it!

It's not a PADI standard, and I don't think it's ever been. And no, it won't be covered in your IDC unless your CD is....never mind.

I dive my valves fully open and then nudged back a hair. In Mexico I nudge them back a few hairs. Last trip there the valves got stuck in the open position. I thought I was going to have to drain the tank to get my reg off of it!

Mexico = poorly maintained equipment.

I was taught in OW - fully open, then 1/4 turn back. Since then, plain old "fully open to eliminate ambiguity" was the rule, and that's what I do (albeit also with "a nudge back" that can be verified open by any manipulation of the knob).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom