Valve Drills in Fusion (Exhaust Valve)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gravitron

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm having a big problem doing valve drills in my Fusion. Here's the issue: when I raise my left arm to shut down the left post, the bent arm presses against the exhaust valve and I sink!

Is this:

a) Improper valve placement on the suit?
b) Faulty valve? (I'm used to the CF200X where you need a good press on the exhaust valve to purge. On my Fusion, barely brushing against it causes it to vent)
c) User error?
d) Other cause?

Thanks to anyone who can set me straight. It was frustrating afternoon!!

Phil

I suspect you're going slightly head up when you go for the left post. Go very slightly head down, and the problem should go away.

The Fusion does vent readily; the SiTech valves are easy to vent. But if the majority of the bubble isn't in your shoulders, it won't be a problem. I don't have any issues at all doing valve shutdowns in the Fusion; in fact, since I acquired it, my GUE instructor has used me as a demonstration model for how valve drills should be done. (And he couldn't do that in my old drysuits!)

In addition to rotating slightly head up, you may also be rotating slightly left side up which would also "encourage" the bubble to head to the exhaust valve. I'd urge you to have a friend shoot some video of you doing a valve drill so that you can see exactly what is going on.

BTW, TSandM had a similar issue that wasn't solved until there was a video review. When she went to get an SMB out of her pocket she rolled a bit to her right, raising her left side and venting. With all the video capabilities of compact cameras, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can video you (I would hope).

I suspect you're going slightly head up when you go for the left post. Go very slightly head down, and the problem should go away.

The Fusion does vent readily; the SiTech valves are easy to vent. But if the majority of the bubble isn't in your shoulders, it won't be a problem. I don't have any issues at all doing valve shutdowns in the Fusion; in fact, since I acquired it, my GUE instructor has used me as a demonstration model for how valve drills should be done. (And he couldn't do that in my old drysuits!)

How can you be the "demo girl" when you're not fit to be a tech diver?? ( from another thread )

Just kidding... :)

He doesn't have me do them in midwater with my mask off . . . :)

It's entirely possible I'm the brain-dead one here, but I didn't know that pushing on the valve made it vent. At least mine does nothing like that when I push on it.

I agree, it sounds like you're getting the valve high.

I keep my elbow pointed forward, kinda like when you lean forward onto a table, with your elbows on the table, and your head in your hands. NOT with the elbow pointing to the side, like you'd be if you were standing with your hands behind your head (the "I surrender" position).

All the best, James

Also, are you using your BC for buoyancy and just putting the minimum amount of air into the suit to eliminate squeeze? I did my first valve drill in the Fusion yesterday while hanging at 20' and didn't experience this problem, but I keep very little gas in my suit, so there isn't much to squeeze out once my buoyancy is stable.

Thanks everyone, for these great pointers. I'm hoping I get to try them out sometime next week-end, with a video assist so I can see what I'm doing incorrectly.

No doubt I'm going head-up. We're still at the start of the whole tech thing and are now in practice mode after doing TecDeep dives 1-3 during the first week-end of July (yup, there was a *long* gap there). Those I did in a CF200X with a faulty zipper than flooded on each and every dive, one of the reasons I got a Fusion.

My Fusion is the 2XL-3XL because my legs are a little long (and the crotch a little short) and I'll need to dive in much colder water eventually (thicker underwear), otherwise I'd have a L-XL. The downside to this is a lot of space in the upper body, so yes, the air tends to pool around the shoulders.

As for the valve, it is ridiculously easy to purge. Just brushing it with a fingertip while there's a bubble underneath will let some air out. In this case, it seems like the outside of my bicep brushes the side of the valve and I hear air rushing out. I find it all very strange since my CF200X also has a SiTech valve, but I've got to press down on it until it clicks before air is released. Must be 2 different models...

Thanks again for sharing your experience and expertise!

Phil

Thanks everyone, for these great pointers. I'm hoping I get to try them out sometime next week-end, with a video assist so I can see what I'm doing incorrectly.

No doubt I'm going head-up. We're still at the start of the whole tech thing and are now in practice mode after doing TecDeep dives 1-3 during the first week-end of July (yup, there was a *long* gap there). Those I did in a CF200X with a faulty zipper than flooded on each and every dive, one of the reasons I got a Fusion.

My Fusion is the 2XL-3XL because my legs are a little long (and the crotch a little short) and I'll need to dive in much colder water eventually (thicker underwear), otherwise I'd have a L-XL. The downside to this is a lot of space in the upper body, so yes, the air tends to pool around the shoulders.

As for the valve, it is ridiculously easy to purge. Just brushing it with a fingertip while there's a bubble underneath will let some air out. In this case, it seems like the outside of my bicep brushes the side of the valve and I hear air rushing out. I find it all very strange since my CF200X also has a SiTech valve, but I've got to press down on it until it clicks before air is released. Must be 2 different models...

Thanks again for sharing your experience and expertise!

Phil

Hey Gravitron,
There already have been some great suggestions from the people on scuba board (THANKS scuba board crew!). The FUSION is a unique suit that changes the dynamic of your air management. The outer skin as you can tell is snug and streamline, which in turn provides even pressure/air layer on every square inch of your suit/body. This pressure of course makes it easier to exhaust the air in the suit, so much so that you may have to tweak the way you dive dry. Diving with the valve closer to the closed position or closed might be a solution.
Also if you are weighted for your CF200 you might be able to shed some lead?
Great point by Rick Inman, “Also, are you using your BC for buoyancy and just putting the minimum amount of air into the suit to eliminate squeeze?” Dive your dry suit with just enough air to get rid of the squeeze and to keep you warm, and use your BCD for what it was built for. This is a great way to dive your suit, although you will have to learn to manage two air spaces instead of one.
I hope this helps!

Cheers,
“There are only two ways to dive naked or dry” :evil:

I use my suit for primary buoyancy and run it loose, but I can do valve drills. It's just a matter of making sure you keep from going head or shoulder up in the process.

I love the easy venting valve. On ascent, sometimes I don't even have to change position . . . The gas just bubbles out as it expands. I think that's cool!

Back
Top Bottom