Question Extra risk of flooding when using Atomic regs in a valve drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunny_diver

Registered
Reaction score
Does the seat saving orifice in Atomic regulators cause the first stage to flood during a valve drill?

Does the seat saving orifice in Atomic regulators cause the first stage to flood during a valve drill?

No. It *might* get a tiny bit of water in the 2nd stage. But, as soon as you turn the valve on and purge or breathe from it, that water will get blown out. No chance it's going to get into the 1st stage.

My Atomic M1s have been my dedicated doubles regs for years. They've seen plenty of valve drills.

My Atomic M1s have been my dedicated doubles regs for years. They've seen plenty of valve drills.

No issues at all with FS flooding because of second stage seat saver?

No. There's no way for the water to displace the air left in the hose all the way back to the 1st. Maybe if you held the second stage vertically and shook it to allow the air out and gravity to push the water down the hose. But the diameter of the hose is small and you'd have to make a huge effort to work the water all the way back to the 1st stage.

Well, to be fair, and in the interest of full disclosure, I have had my M1 regs since some time in 2019, IIRC, and I have never serviced them. They work perfectly. So... can I really say that no water has ever gotten in the 1st stage? I guess not, since I've never opened them up. But, if it has, it has not been enough to cause them to start having problems...

No. There's no way for the water to displace the air left in the hose all the way back to the 1st. Maybe if you held the second stage vertically and shook it to allow the air out and gravity to push the water down the hose. But the diameter of the hose is small and you'd have to make a huge effort to work the water all the way back to the 1st stage.
Well, to be fair, and in the interest of full disclosure, I have had my M1 regs since some time in 2019, IIRC, and I have never serviced them. They work perfectly. So... can I really say that no water has ever gotten in the 1st stage? I guess not, since I've never opened them up. But, if it has, it has not been enough to cause them to start having problems...

Gentlemen,

Do you think that the result would be different, for any reason, in SM configuration given that the diver didn't go out of his way to flood the FS?

(I am pushing the issue because of some others arguing otherwise based on "theoretical" opinions)

Gentlemen,

Do you think that the result would be different, for any reason, in SM configuration given that the diver didn't go out of his way to flood the FS?

(I am pushing the issue because of some others arguing otherwise based on "theoretical" opinions)

Let's get detailed.

The OP asked about it during a valve drill. The answer is no.

You asked about flooding because of the seat saver feature. Again, no.

Now you're asking about if a SM diver could flood the 1st stage. That has different nuances. Not because of sidemount, but because it's no longer in the context of a valve drill (gas off for a short time), and seat saver doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it.

If a SM or BM diver turns the gas off and allows the line to become depressurized, then it is not unusual (if it stays that way for any length of time) for the 1st stage (assuming DIN) to get bumped and become a little loose. If the 1st stage DIN fitting gets loosened a little bit, then yes, the 1st stage could get flooded.

I suppose the seat saver feature might even contribute at this point by virtue of not maintaining any back pressure on the line - i.e. holding air in that would potentially give some "resistance" to water coming in at the other end. Water coming in at the 1st stage could push the air in the line out through the 2nd stage with relatively little resistance versus a 2nd stage that did not have the seat saver.

But, really, it primarily comes down to having the line depressurized for a somewhat extended period. I.e. longer than it would be during a valve shutdown drill.

Side note: This is why I use inline shutoffs on my deco cylinders (but not a pony bottle or a bailout cylinder) - to ensure the line does not get inadvertently depressurized and allow the 1st stage to loosen its DIN fitting.

What @stuartv said. The 1st stage is going to flood when the DIN comes loose on the tank - kinda like any other reg. Not backwards from the 2nd stage due to the seat saver opening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom