Vacation planning help required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive n00b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,

Wife and I have been struggling with this for a while so we thought it best to ask the experts here on SB as you have been so helpful in planning previous dive trips for us.

Here's what we a looking for:

A one week to 10 day trip either the last week of March or First Week of April.
Great diving is a requirement, however this is not strictly a diving trip so topside activities and quality food/accomodations are a must.

In terms of options here is what we are throwing around:

A week all-inclusive in either Roatan (Infinity Bay Resort), Belize (Placencia Hotel), or Curacao (lots of options here)

OR

7 or 10 day Carribean Cruise - We would dive at at least 4 or 5 of the ports if possible.

We are also open to other suggestions for 1 week all-inclusive stays.

Here's the thing... we are flying out of Toronto and are limited in terms of which resorts Canadian tour operators service. (i.e. Our only option for Belize is The Placencia Hotel). Roatan and Belize we have quite a few options for resorts.

In trying to balance a great diving vacation with a great overall vacation we were hoping to find somewhere with a hotel that offers multiple restaurants bars etc.. and a decent common area so there is something to do in the evenings. We generally stay at Riu properties or comparable in the Carribean when not staying with Family.

Also, this is likely our last pre-pregnancy, pre-kids trip so we are open to (and want to take advantage of) the option of going somewhere more exotic. If not, Coz would probably be the easiest choice to meet our criteria but we can do that anytime.

One of the biggest issues we are having is that we don't know anyone who's actually been to any of the places we are considering. As such, I turn to you... my fellow scuba boarders!

Fire away. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - We are relatively new divers (10-15 dives logged), in our late 20's, and do expect a certain degree of safety, service and luxury with our trips. Oh, and the Bahamas is also out as we have family there and are there multiple times per year.

Thanks again!

Would your budget allow for a liveaboard?

Alternatively what about Kona, Hawaii - you could work on the "no longer pregnant issue" while you are there!
Lots of top side activities and good diving. There is also a liveaboard there.

You should also check out the Marriott on Curacao. It's nice with a dive operation right our front and you could use the dive bus to dive some other parts of the island.

We had the same problem, we couldn't decide. Then we found a criuse from Miami that goes to Grand Cayman, Beleize, roatan and Cozumel. That's what we are doing at the end of April and we will be diving at every Port of call.

If you really want to dive then I would skip the cruise ship trip. Yes, they offer diving trips but they are not the same thing as a land-based diving trip and you will probably not get the same quality of diving.

If you do want a land-based trip and you want a fancy resort first, then good diving second, I would say look at Curacao. (Belize and Roatan lean more towards the rustic side, and are not like the plus Riu resorts.) Cozumel only has a few hotels that meet that standard also - check out Cozumel Palace, Fiesta Americana, and Occidental Grand and Allegro.
some info: Cozumel vacation, Mexico resort hotel rates - Bay Adventures
more: Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations

Another place you might consider is Grand Cayman. Lots of fancier hotels there.

Come stay with us in Kona - Kona Ocean Villa - and enjoy a great condo and diving with Wanna Dive Kona. We own the VR so that is a little biased but diving with Steve, Bob, and Cathy is purely by choice. They are top notch. I'm here tonight to see if Cathy blogged about the 50 minute dolphin encounter we shared last Wednesday. Unbelievable.

Kona offers so much, I think the best diving in the world plus incredible topside activities. You'll never forget watching the lava flow into the ocean! Ever seen a green sand beach?

Bob

I for one can not tell you where to go, but I can say don't go the last week of March or the first week of April. Those 2 weeks are just about the highest vacation weeks you could pick for spring 2010.
Easter is the First Sunday in April, so many many people that have kids will be all over the place.
Jim breslin

I agree with JRBES1, these two weeks will be very busy everywhere, therefore more expensive and crowded restaurants too.
Look at Air Transat, they have pretty good packages, flying from Toronto to La Romana Dominican Republic. I would suggest two of the hotels Iberostar or Oasis Canoa - about 20 minuets drive from the airpiort. Do not choose Gran Bahia La Romana, the sea around has really bad visibility, that is not a place to go diving, also it is very remote, the closest is La Romana about 45 minute drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom