VA Beach Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you like Helen Keller diving...the third island is fantastic.

If you like Helen Keller diving...the third island is fantastic.

"Like" is subjective... This is what we get in the Midwest, and they bill Beaver Lake as "crystal clear." This might not make me Helen, but it's not Coz either. :thumb:

But thanks, I appreciate it. I just wish there were more options for dives (in the SUMMER!!!) for Jr. AOWDs..

Here's the funny part, if it wasn't for me being from Va. Beach and this being a trip to see family, Coz is about the same to get to, cheaper to stay (if family's not giving you a room), and the kids can dive with the parents!

Attachments

• IMG_2948small.jpg
    IMG_2948small.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2954small.jpg
    IMG_2954small.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2960small.jpg
    IMG_2960small.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2967small.jpg
    IMG_2967small.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 258
Why not take a little bit of drive to the Outer banks of North Carolina ,
the visibility is much better . You guys are not that far . Watch the weather
forecast as well . Be safe and enjoy your diving !
Sea Dwellers

Why not take a little bit of drive to the Outer banks of North Carolina ,
the visibility is much better . You guys are not that far . Watch the weather
forecast as well . Be safe and enjoy your diving !
Sea Dwellers

That's what we tried, the closest place really was Morehead, and that got jacked due to weather (which is hardly the dive shop's fault). Again, apparently diving with a Jr. AOWD didn't help much, the 70-foot limit is as much of a "dive opportunities" limit as it is a depth limit.

I'm just shocked that Lynnhaven Dive Center is the only operation in the Tidewater area with a boat. And equally shocked that there's not enough business to keep the boat going out twice a day.

I'm just shocked that Lynnhaven Dive Center is the only operation in the Tidewater area with a boat. And equally shocked that there's not enough business to keep the boat going out twice a day.

Welcome to Virginia...home of the twice a year quarry divers.

Seriously though, there are very few locations on our coast that I find appropriate for a Jr Diver. Maybe 5% of our wrecks are inshore and decent dives for a youngin.

In my opinion, Lynnhaven doesn’t do itself any favors. They run a boat, yet certify their divers at a quarry 150 miles away. Want to get folks diving in the local waters on a charter? Make them do their certs there.
Unfortunately nobody there is willing to use the student/instructor ratios needed for those dives(often 2-1 or 1-1)....

Welcome to Virginia...home of the twice a year quarry divers.

Seriously though, there are very few locations on our coast that I find appropriate for a Jr Diver. Maybe 5% of our wrecks are inshore and decent dives for a youngin.

In my opinion, Lynnhaven doesn’t do itself any favors. They run a boat, yet certify their divers at a quarry 150 miles away. Want to get folks diving in the local waters on a charter? Make them do their certs there.
Unfortunately nobody there is willing to use the student/instructor ratios needed for those dives(often 2-1 or 1-1)....
I grew up in Va. Beach, and yeah, I get it. Heck, I used to shape boards for WRV, I guess I should have taken the kid to the beach and taught him how to surf. LOL! So I get it, save money and go south...

Last weekend we had a great weekend in Mermet Springs, IL. Yeah, it's a quarry, but it's fun and they're Jr. AOWD friendly.

My start in diving was Lake Rawlings followed by Virginia Beach ocean diving. My first ocean dive ever was 2' visibility and running lines off of the anchor line and what not. Thanks to good dive buddies (Pat M!) it was never too scary for me. It wasn't bad getting started with low expectations then finally experiencing good visibility in the ocean later on trips South.

For every 3 trips or so I signed up for maybe 1 would go out. Swells were pretty legit, so I always used sea sickness medication.

LDC (Lindsay and Dana) were always good as were the boat captains. Dive Quarters's Matt H was good and the Pelican was solid as well as I remember. DQ sold out and Pelican quit running charters I believe.

My start in diving was Lake Rawlings followed by Virginia Beach ocean diving. My first ocean dive ever was 2' visibility and running lines off of the anchor line and what not. Thanks to good dive buddies (Pat M!) it was never too scary for me. It wasn't bad getting started with low expectations then finally experiencing good visibility in the ocean later on trips South.

For every 3 trips or so I signed up for maybe 1 would go out. Swells were pretty legit, so I always used sea sickness medication.

LDC (Lindsay and Dana) were always good as were the boat captains. Dive Quarters's Matt H was good and the Pelican was solid as well as I remember. DQ sold out and Pelican quit running charters I believe.

I think that's the case because, as far as I could tell, LDC was the only game in town in Tidewater until you got down to the OBX and points south.

And nothing scares my young diver relative to less-clear water anymore. After what I've put him through (all fun dives, but meant to hone his skills), I'm confident that he's ready to deal with navigation. Heck, he's the only diver (other than me) who takes bearings before going down on a clear day, without being asked. Seeing him make that compass check makes dad kind of proud. And it makes him super appreciative of clear blue water too. But another proud dad story, before jumping in he's the only diver to ask the DM to point to the surface/pick-up point so he could get a bearing. It was Coz, he knew the beach was 090, but he thought to ask for the extraction point to. He gets it..

I have been out on the Grand Adventure twice now and I was thoroughly impressed with the operation! VERY nice boat! Currently only licensed as a Six Pack but is very spacious! I know Matt will go through necessary requirements to be allowed addtional paying passengers for economic reasons but enjoy the room while it last!

I am hoping to get out at least once more this year and hopefully regularly next year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom