V18 for Petrel is now released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great job Shearwater. Awesome update. I dive both tec and rec. This update is great for switching between. I dove it today and am very happy. Keep up the good work

I downloaded the new firmware without a hitch, and had it in the water to check out the new mode a couple of hours later. I really like the new display, and the ability to go back to the old one for tech dives. Just be aware the update will reset the tissue loading, so make sure you do it at the end of your current bit of diving!

Let's see--a rugged and dependable computer capable of running Buhlman and VPM (for an upgrade fee), frequent firmware improvements, great customer service. The first computer I've owned that wasn't a pain to download, and that I didn't have to pay another hundred or two for a proprietary download cable. Shearwater rules!

Keep it up guys. You are going to make me have to buy a petrel to go with my predator. So great when something is not vaporware like other things today.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hi v101,

The commands were added to the Petrel, but the Shearwater Desktop program doesn't do anything with them yet.

In a future release we may add an option to either automatically sync the time or a prompt to sync.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Shearwater announced new Firmware version 18 for their Petrel. I installed it and wanted to know if anyone caught the release note:

NEW FEATURE: Added commands for setting and getting time over Bluetooth.

I looked for a while under the setup mode, and system settings, but couldn't find a option to enable this feature, I am wondering if when dive logs are downloaded to the PC that is when it does the time sync?

Any one know if they got theirs to get the time sync from their PC, or figure out the option under the settings?

I put the Petrel into "Rec" mode and proceeded to do a dive on one of my favourite "Recs" and didn't notice any difference. Why is this mode better for diving recs than the original mode. I was hoping the Petrel would keep track of penetration distance or provide information on the r screen about that recs history but so far nothing.

Bob (in silly mode)

I was hoping the Petrel would keep track of penetration distance or provide information on the r screen about that recs history but so far nothing.

I believe you need the "Tape Measure" accessory for that...

Hi v101,

The commands were added to the Petrel, but the Shearwater Desktop program doesn't do anything with them yet.

In a future release we may add an option to either automatically sync the time or a prompt to sync.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Tyler - I suspected this might be the case, great its ready to go on the petrel, good forward thinking, will patiently wait for this enhancement to the software for the desktop.

I downloaded and dove it this past Saturday. Great feature that allows you to set the PPO2 and the amount of conservatism you want. It tracked very close to my Suunto.

I think they refer to the better efficiencies within the BT connection in both directions (setting vs getting). Not a setting within the menu.

Back
Top Bottom