V-weight substitute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Here is the trim weights (P-weights) I made a while ago.

The left weight is a DR stock 7lb trim weight and costs about $27 as I recall..:no

Mine are about 6.75lb, 6.5lb and 6.25lb on the pictures. I have used a 3 inch tubular webbing and SS grommets each side. 3 inch webbing is the widest one I could find. Please let me know if you can find the wider than 3 inch anywhere.

It works great and even, you can add this weight on the front groove of the plate. So, you put more than 12 lb with two these weight.

Sure, it isn't for an air travel though.

Check out my humble "Hoosier" trim weights: I think I already post my project somewhere on the board.

Looks good. The only "issue" I would say is that it's not good to get depending on a certain "kind" of weight -- when you travel you have to use whatever is available.

So the softweights behind the BP should work anywhere they have simple soft weights.

limeyx:
Looks good. The only "issue" I would say is that it's not good to get depending on a certain "kind" of weight -- when you travel you have to use whatever is available.
limeyx:

So the softweights behind the BP should work anywhere they have simple soft weights.

I thought I already mentioned...

"Sure, it isn't for an air travel though.":wink:

I made these weights as a V-weight substitute (mostly for my GF) as OP pointed the thread topic.

I don't use that many weights. For a cold water, I only use SS plate, 119s, 130s with a weezle extreme plus. For a warm water, AL plate or trim weight (another application), 80s with a wet suit.

For the travel or warm water, actually I have another Hoosier application. I will post the picture by tomorrow if you want.:D

Hello Floater:
We have a new product that maybe just what you are looking for. The new "V" Weight Pouch (part number WB550) will be in stock in about 2 weeks. It allows you to add up to 7 pounds of shot lead in the mesh pouch. A double Velcro closure seals the pouch. Stainless steel grommets are 11 inches apart. Suggested retail price is $15.00

myAlbums.do

*Floater*:
This may be an old idea, but it's new for me. You need 2 XS scuba weight pockets or similar (~$20) and a 13" piece of excess webbing from your harness (every hog harness owner should already have some). Put the pockets on the webbing and cut holes 11" apart on it for your doubles bolts.

Well, I don't have doubles at home, so I haven't tried this yet, but I think there should be plenty of space between the tanks and backplate (at least with my flatter profile DSS plates), so this should work. I guess you could add grommets and triglides to make this nicer - I just cut the holes using a sharp kitchen knife and then burned the edges with a lighter. (I have plenty of extra webbing for when this wears out).

Advantages: The main advantage is that this system is light so you can bring it with you on holiday and then add 1-12# as needed in block weights on site. Also, you can vary where to place the weight for trim purposes.

The pockets are 4.5" long so two of them will fit nicely on a piece of webbing between your doubles bolts. I guess you could also just put the weights directly on the webbing without pockets (if they fit weightbelts) or even just use an STA as an extra weight between doubles and tanks if it fits.

Attachments

• PB130129sm.jpg
    PB130129sm.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 94
XS Scuba:
Hello Floater:
We have a new product that maybe just what you are looking for. The new "V" Weight Pouch (part number WB550) will be in stock in about 2 weeks. It allows you to add up to 7 pounds of shot lead in the mesh pouch. A double Velcro closure seals the pouch. Stainless steel grommets are 11 inches apart. Suggested retail price is $15.00

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/myAlbums.do?albumId=55072.1541.1159509316386.1

Mike,

Sweet... I think this is the final answer....

It is always good to see that XS read the customers' mind and invented something in a good price..:D

XS Scuba:
Hello Floater:

myAlbums.do

Looks like a great product.

Back
Top Bottom