V-weight substitute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made weights by pouring shot into tubular webbing of the sort used by rock climbers. Sew up the ends. Would be easy to attach a grommet at each end. Would work nice for a v-weight.

divemaster_jim:

Right :) There is an easy solution for this one, but it's a two-parter

1) http://www.ebay.com=sellitem&transpac&to=unsuspectingbuyer.
2) http://www.deepseasupply.com/page11.html

:)

EDIT: And no, I dont work for DSS, or get a commission :)

james croft:
I have made weights by pouring shot into tubular webbing of the sort used by rock climbers. Sew up the ends. Would be easy to attach a grommet at each end. Would work nice for a v-weight.

I've considered a similar solution, except I could just ziptie the weights on top and/or under the plate through the cam strap slots. Also Oxycheq has a new "sausage" weight bag with the grommets that should work even better.

However, I'd like to make this work with block weights because that's what has been available at dive locations I've visited, but I'll have to try it with the tanks to see whether the space is there.

*Floater*:
I've considered a similar solution, except I could just ziptie the weights on top and/or under the plate through the cam strap slots. Also Oxycheq has a new "sausage" weight bag with the grommets that should work even better.

However, I'd like to make this work with block weights because that's what has been available at dive locations I've visited, but I'll have to try it with the tanks to see whether the space is there.

I'd be surprised if there enough room for block weights between the plate and the tanks.

Tobin

*Floater*:

I'd be extremely nervous if you are relying on those zip ties to hold the weight to you.
you do NOT want your weights falling off U/W.

cool_hardware52:
Why not just stick soft weights between the wing and the plate? They can't get past the band bolts. The wing keeps them from passing between the tanks.

Depending on the bottles used and the plate used you can get a little, maybe 2x2pounders or with smaller diameter tanks and a flatter plate you can cram in a bunch o weight.

Best thing is it's free!

Tobin

This is exactly what I do and it works great with my LP 95's and Highland bands. I've got just enough room. When everything is put together they don't move at all.

limeyx:
I'd be extremely nervous if you are relying on those zip ties to hold the weight to you.
you do NOT want your weights falling off U/W.

There would be very little stress on the weight, especially underwater, but even if I did manage to break 3 or 4 zipties the weight should still stay pinned between either the wing and plate if it was on top, or between the plate and my body if it was under the plate. Still, a grommet solution would be preferable to me.

*Floater*:
There would be very little stress on the weight, especially underwater, but even if I did manage to break 3 or 4 zipties the weight should still stay pinned between either the wing and plate if it was on top, or between the plate and my body if it was under the plate. Still, a grommet solution would be preferable to me.

yeah, if the weight is under the tension of the BP, I wouln't be too worried.
i would NOT trust (any amount of) zipties if they were the only things keeping the weights on.

however, I think softweights under the BP is the way to go here (or Tobins weight pouch :)

Here is the trim weights (P-weights) I made a while ago.

The left weight is a DR stock 7lb trim weight and costs about $27 as I recall..:no

Mine are about 6.75lb, 6.5lb and 6.25lb on the pictures. I have used a 3 inch tubular webbing and SS grommets each side. 3 inch webbing is the widest one I could find. Please let me know if anyone can find the wider than 3 inch anywhere.

It works great and even, you can add this weight on the front groove of the plate. So, you put more than 12 lb with these two weights.

Sure, it isn't for an air travel though.:eyebrow:

Check out my humble "Hoosier" trim weights: I think I already post my project somewhere on the board.:wink:

Trim%20Weight.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom