V-weight substitute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This may be an old idea, but it's new for me. You need 2 XS scuba weight pockets or similar (~$20) and a 13" piece of excess webbing from your harness (every hog harness owner should already have some). Put the pockets on the webbing and cut holes 11" apart on it for your doubles bolts. Result:

vweightsubstitute.jpg

Well, I don't have doubles at home, so I haven't tried this yet, but I think there should be plenty of space between the tanks and backplate (at least with my flatter profile DSS plates), so this should work. I guess you could add grommets and triglides to make this nicer - I just cut the holes using a sharp kitchen knife and then burned the edges with a lighter. (I have plenty of extra webbing for when this wears out).

Advantages: The main advantage is that this system is light so you can bring it with you on holiday and then add 1-12# as needed in block weights on site. Also, you can vary where to place the weight for trim purposes.

The pockets are 4.5" long so two of them will fit nicely on a piece of webbing between your doubles bolts. I guess you could also just put the weights directly on the webbing without pockets (if they fit weightbelts) or even just use an STA as an extra weight between doubles and tanks if it fits.

But, you have to use the soft weight to fit it in between the plate and band.
You need to put SS grommet at the end holes. Otherwise, it won't last long.

As you may know, there isn't much room, so anything that can't be shapeable used to extend the distance between the plate and valve.

I made a couple of P-weights, but it won't be good for an air travel.

Please post some pcitures with the double when you are ready.

I am interested in seeing how it goes...

Good idea for a frequent traveler....

Floater-

Good idea, I'm wondering how it fits between the tanks and the plate, let us know when you get things together.

Reason I am wondering about fit is that you can put soft weights in there directly, but they get kinda tight in terms of room really quick. I've messed around with that method, and I know others that do that . . . could work really nice for travelling.

I tried this (kind of) once on the dive site as a temp solution, and the 2# softweight won't fit down into the V area enough even without the pocket. I was using LP95's and different tanks and bands have more/less space, so I'm not saying it won't work, just that it won't work for me.

However, here's what did work for me. I took a long piece of small diameter bicycle tube and poured the shot from the soft weights into the tube, zip tied at each end and dropped it into the V space.

Worked great for one dive, but I wouldn't want to use it on anything serious. One hole in the tube and out comes the shot, and that could be a very bad day.

Real V weights work great.

*Floater*:
This may be an old idea, but it's new for me. You need 2 XS scuba weight pockets or similar (~$20) and a 13" piece of excess webbing from your harness (every hog harness owner should already have some). Put the pockets on the webbing and cut holes 11" apart on it for your doubles bolts. Result:

vweightsubstitute.jpg

Well, I don't have doubles at home, so I haven't tried this yet, but I think there should be plenty of space between the tanks and backplate (at least with my flatter profile DSS plates), so this should work. I guess you could add grommets and triglides to make this nicer - I just cut the holes using a sharp kitchen knife and then burned the edges with a lighter. (I have plenty of extra webbing for when this wears out).

Advantages: The main advantage is that this system is light so you can bring it with you on holiday and then add 1-12# as needed in block weights on site. Also, you can vary where to place the weight for trim purposes.

The pockets are 4.5" long so two of them will fit nicely on a piece of webbing between your doubles bolts. I guess you could also just put the weights directly on the webbing without pockets (if they fit weightbelts) or even just use an STA as an extra weight between doubles and tanks if it fits.

Why not just stick soft weights between the wing and the plate? They can't get past the band bolts. The wing keeps them from passing between the tanks.

Depending on the bottles used and the plate used you can get a little, maybe 2x2pounders or with smaller diameter tanks and a flatter plate you can cram in a bunch o weight.

Best thing is it's free!

Tobin

Rick Inman:
I tried this (kind of) once on the dive site as a temp solution, and the 2# softweight won't fit down into the V area enough even without the pocket. I was using LP95's and different tanks and bands have more/less space, so I'm not saying it won't work, just that it won't work for me.

However, here's what did work for me. I took a long piece of small diameter bicycle tube and poured the shot from the soft weights into the tube, zip tied at each end and dropped it into the V space.

Worked great for one dive, but I wouldn't want to use it on anything serious. One hole in the tube and out comes the shot, and that could be a very bad day.

Innertube? Hmmmm,
how much do you figure you got in it?
I was considering using PVC pipe to do that.

Rick Inman:

Seems like a good idea. Could you not double up the inner tubes to make it stronger? (Put one inside the other) Or cover it with the same material that people use over their spring straps? It would be stronger. Also what about using a piece of garden hose or plastic hose from Home Depot? It would be stronger but not as flexible.

Back
Top Bottom