Uwatec Tec 2g -- reliable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had mine for just a bit over 2 years and put it in warm water to rinse it the other day when it started beeping and flashing random symbols. It said the temperature was 456*F! After taking it out of the 75*F water and drying it off it stopped going ape****, but resumed beeping at me from the back of the car while driving to the dive site. Apparently the temperature sensor was busted and anything above 70*F or so was telling it it was too hot.

Too bad the warranty is only a year...

I'll be getting another one promptly though as it's the best computer I've ever used! Gauge mode with on-the-fly average depth calculations and a built-in stopwatch feature make this the ideal tech diving computer for divers looking for precision deco ascents.

They're top dive computers. I use mine in gauge, 2 gas and 1 gas mode, and I've never had a problem. I clean the terminals occasionally with soapy water or toothpaste, which stops that 'not switching off' problem. I've done 138 hours now on the original battery, still reading charged, tho' I carry a spare around these days, just n case.

I have a 2g and have logged over 50 salt water dives with it. No issues or problems at all.

Great computer.

I occasionally have to pop mine out of the bungee mount and rinse it well in warm freshwater to get the contacts to realize its not underwater (at less than 3'). And that's with the contacts turned "off".

Outside a few minor complaints like that, its been a decent unit.

After two years and around 100 dives, my Tec2g decided it was time to fall apart on me. The left button popped out of the housing resulting in a flooded puck. Unfortunately it's out of warranty (only one year in Japan) so no replacement for me.

But, I'll be ordering another as I feel it's the best computer for the price. Especially recently as it now seems to cost about half of what it did two years ago! If the Uwatec330 logged dives, that would be the winner as I only use it in Gague mode, but for the limited price differential, having the ability to download dive data and replace the battery when necessary is worth the extra cash.

But as the Tec2G blew up mid-dive, I am now a believer in having a backup depth gauge! So I'll be getting the 330 as well!

In the end I did! I've ordered another Tech2g and a 330. The 330 will likely just stay in my pocket incase I have problems with the 2G again, but I'll feel a lot better knowing it's there. Being in the water not knowing how deep you are or how long you've been there is not a comfortable feeling!!

I'm getting close to the stage where I'll be replacing the battery in my Uwatec Tec2G. It's done over 200 hours, about 240 dives. I'd like to replace the 'O' ring as well,does anyone know where I can get hold of one, preferably over the net as I live in Australia? The part no is: PN 06.201.610 if that means anything to anyone. Some of the other computers have a kit for this. thanks.

I'm getting close to the stage where I'll be replacing the battery in my Uwatec Tec2G. It's done over 200 hours, about 240 dives. I'd like to replace the 'O' ring as well,does anyone know where I can get hold of one, preferably over the net as I live in Australia? The part no is: PN 06.201.610 if that means anything to anyone. Some of the other computers have a kit for this. thanks.

Alex,

I ended up ordering my new computers from DiveInn, and they have replacement battery kits for the Tec2g, as well as relpacement screen protectors! the battery is here...

Uwatec Battery Kit for Aladin Tec/Prime. Instruments Loose instruments, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

You can search around to find other goodies. They did a good job and my items were sent off and arrived quickly. If you only need the battery, you might find the delivery charges a little much since they're based in Spain... but it works out if you order other items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom