UWATEC Smart Series: Voluntary Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what I'm thinking, though I can't afford the wireless transmitter at the moment. Any complaints about it being too conservative?

reubencahn once bubbled...
That's what I'm thinking, though I can't afford the wireless transmitter at the moment. Any complaints about it being too conservative?

I also own a vytec and havent noticed it being to conservative although im sure it is because everyone on the board says it is....lol.You can also change it from RGBM100 to RGBM 50 making it less conservative or use gauge mode if you prefer. The wireless option is great.

I don't have any complaints about its conservatism, the wireless option is great (you can always add the transmitter later) and you CAN turn down the conservatism if you wish.

Robbo once bubbled...
The quick disconnect is one of the main reasons for buying this computer and that has obviously failed.

My friend had a few of those fail too...for him it was usually just an o-ring or something...maybe for once had had somewhat better luck w/ it!

From My conversations with sp.
Send you computer in as fast as you can so you can get on the waiting list for a new computer.
Waiting list I say?
Replacement computers won't start shipping till mid to late august.
Can you believe that?
I would have thought the theves at sp would have made new ones before they recalled the old ones.
After all it took how many years for the last computer recall, 7 or so.
I'm going to try to get mine returned for credit.
Maby everyone else should too, show them just what kind of consumers we are.

just my 2 cents

I got mine returned for credit - I don't want any more of their stuff, at all.

I've sent my SMART PRO back today for replacement. They say it's sixty days or sooner; wonder if they have already the new got replacements here?!

I also try to see the positive aspects. Since mine has already got a couple scratches around the sides I don't mind getting a new one :)

I bought a Smart Com a couple months ago from LP and have used it for a half dozen dives. Really liked it. I called the recall hot line yesterday and left a message to have a return call for questions, and they returned my call within a couple of hours. I asked if I could "upgrade" to a Aladin Air Z Nitrox, and was told I could by simply putting a note in the return box. I asked how I could pay the difference in price, and they said it would be no charge, but consider that the Air Z does not have as many features as the Smart Com I now have. After looking into it, I decided my Smart Com is really a lot better for me, it's newer, and does do a lot more, so I am going to keep it. The SP rep also said they were "getting in a thousand boxes" today and I would receive my return box soon. Was afraid to ask how long it would take to get it back. It seems to me that they are trying to go out of their way to do the right thing. Nothing in this world is perfect, but they are demonstrating they are standing behind the product. It gives me some confidence that should something else happen in the future; they will take care of that too. After reading about the history with the Uwatec owners, I am giving them (SP) the benefit of a doubt that they were victims of original Uwatec owners also. In the mean time, I was going to get a back-up bottom timer and SPG anyway, I've done that and will just do it the old fashion way until it comes back. Plan to use the Smart Com this weekend to finish my advanced open water certifications dives with the new back-up SPG and botttom-timer/depth gauge. Then send it back next week.

Back
Top Bottom