UWATEC Smart Series: Voluntary Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe you have every right to demand a full purchase-price refund on these computers, and that you cannot be forced to accept this "exchange."

If I were you gheeres, I would tell them that I would GLADLY exchange my defective Smart Com for an Air Z Nitrox.

After all your troubles, that would be more than fair.

:)

See if they will do that.

Brules

I don't own one of the affected computers...

Thank God.

(I'm going to have to fight with the LDS over the Vyper bug - which at least is survivable! Having a computer go comatose when you have a deco obligation would be VERY un-good.)

I own one of the affected Smart Pros. I purchased it for my son because I liked the Pro Nitrox--which is a decent computer if outdated. I've never liked the Smart Pro--the whole level stop thing. And now this. We're leaving for Fiji in two weeks and Scubapro will get around to replacing them in 90 days. I bought mine from Dive Inn and I've asked them for a credit to buy another computer. We'll see.

Brules once bubbled...
If I were you gheeres, I would tell them that I would GLADLY exchange my defective Smart Com for an Air Z Nitrox.

After all your troubles, that would be more than fair.

:)

See if they will do that.

Brules

Actually, they have extended that offer to some of those affected...however, those hoseless things are even worse in my opinion.

Let's just say I've placed an order for a different computer from a different company.

Any have any idea what an AI Suunto Cobra goes for retail wise? The price is very very close to what my Samrt Pro would run online through Leisure Pro. I am kind of in hopes that my LDS would switch it out for me if they are able to resell the replacement computer. If not then I am going to hit Scuba Pro/ Uwatec up for a different model. I do feel a little unnerved by the whole ordeal.

I am anxious to see what happens with the owner's smart com when he returns from Bonaire this week. He was spending two weeks their and should have been more than ample time to kill it if it were going to die. If it did die that might help me get something different.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
He was spending two weeks their and should have been more than ample time to kill it if it were going to die. If it did die that might help me get something different.

Don't count on it - a friend of mine put close to 150 dives (give/take a little) on his before his died the first time!!

I bought a smart com about two months ago, The dive shop had it on order for ages and it didn't show, so they upgraded me to the Air Z for no cost, I am sure that was at the Manufacturers request. I just recieved it yesterday. Nice computer.. I am anticipating diving with it.. I have dove a borrowed Smart com and I really liked the interface.

I bought 2 SmartCom’s, one for my wife and one for myself earlier this year. Our second dive on our trip to Key Largo was on the Grove when my wife’s quick disconnect started leaking…..we ended the dive very early. Luckily, we thought, Ocean Diver’s is an authorized Scubapro shop and they fixed it free of charge even though we didn’t buy it from them. They were great!! On our next dive on the Grove, my quick disconnect started leaking and we ended the dive early. This time the great people at Ocean Diver’s replaced the quick disconnect with permanent hoses and they have worked fine since.

The quick disconnect is one of the main reasons for buying this computer and that has obviously failed. Now the recall comes out…..I am very disappointed in the product but have just entered my info on the Uwatec site for the new unit. I am hoping they replace the hose when they give me the new unit.

Because I have a trip scheduled, Dive Inn agreed to give me a store credit. So now I can purchase another computer. I just have to decide what to get. The choices are really the Suunto Vytec or an Uwatec Pro Ultra or Air Z Nitrox. While my Pro Nitrox has been great, I'm feeling as though Uwatec's technology is behind the curve and I'm none to please with their reliability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom