UWATEC Smart Series: Voluntary Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

there is another tread dealing with this computer and detailing some problems and I believe this one was discussed.

Ed

ONE thread???? There should be DOZENS!!! These computers are pieces of junk!

gheeres has had four replaced - one had an E8 error, one didn't calc the RBT (always showed 99), and then another had an E8. He finally got that one replaced and it leaked oil all over - back to Uwatec it went.

I'm on my second - my first one never calced the RBT...

Doug, another of our dive friends is awaiting his second as it just went blank and displayed a service wrench.

Chris, another one of our friends also had one and just as he was about to step off the dive boat it went dead.

These things are quite possibly the worst computer ever made...this just sums up the situation.

Hello,

There was one thread that came to mind, i'm sure there are dozens on this site.

Ed

I have a Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox, and it is just fine. It may have been the best computer around in 1998 when I bought it, but Uwatec has been far off the mark with its new products. Divers want user replacable batteries, push buttons and menu operation. Uwatec lacks all three. Add to that the strange/unfriendly operation of the level feature (bug?) of the smart series and it becomes clear how a company that once had 85% of the market for dive computers gets by today with about 10%.

Of course you can dive a Suunto and be the first one out of the water. Perhaps the Mares M1 RGBM will offer salvation.

Omicron once bubbled...
ONE thread???? There should be DOZENS!!! These computers are pieces of junk!

gheeres has had four replaced - one had an E8 error, one didn't calc the RBT (always showed 99), and then another had an E8. He finally got that one replaced and it leaked oil all over - back to Uwatec it went.

I'm on my second - my first one never calced the RBT...

Doug, another of our dive friends is awaiting his second as it just went blank and displayed a service wrench.

Chris, another one of our friends also had one and just as he was about to step off the dive boat it went dead.

These things are quite possibly the worst computer ever made...this just sums up the situation.

Why would he keep getting them then!!!!!!!! Try somthing else. If I had one go out I would try a replacement but if that one went out I would demand my money back

Straight from the horses mouth:

Voluntary Recall

UWATEC is conducting a voluntary recall of the Smart PRO and Smart COM dive computers. A software programming error can render audio and some visual alert signals inoperable, and under certain conditions, the screen freezes.
You can determine if you have one of these units by looking for the "Smart" name on the front of the computers. For safety reasons, we ask that you stop using the dive computer immediately.

Replacement Program

UWATEC will replace your Smart PRO or Smart COM computer with a new one within ninety (90) days or sooner. In order to obtain a replacement, register on line by filling out the form below. After we obtain your name, address, and telephone number, UWATEC will send you a return shipping box and UPS shipping label. All you will need to do is to place the Smart PRO or Smart COM dive computer in this box, seal the box, attach the UPS label, and drop it off at any UPS shipping location. Once we have received your computer, we will begin processing your replacement order.

RECALL LINK HERE - GO FILL THIS OUT IF YOU OWN A SMART COM OR SMART PRO:

Wow.

That means EVERY SINGAL SMART PRO/COM SOLD. EVERY LAST ONE.

Guess my intuition paid off this time! I hate to see them have a problem, but KUDOS TO UWATEC FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hats off to them for having the intestinal fortitude to do a MASSIVE recall.

I hope they get it fixed....maybe this is one of the reasons the Smart Com hoseless insn't out yet?

Brules

ScubaPete once bubbled...

Why would he keep getting them then!!!!!!!! Try somthing else. If I had one go out I would try a replacement but if that one went out I would demand my money back

He's tried, but the Scubapro reps say "no way". All they do is give him a new one and send him on his way. I'm going to be right in line with him now, as this is going to be my second. Fool me once...shame on me. Fool me twice...well...that's not going to happen.

And KUDO's to Uwatec?? HAH!!!!! Have you heard of the lawsuit going on about the FIRST product listed on this recall page????

http://www.uwatec.com/notice/chooseproduct.html

For crying out loud, pretty soon they are going to need a fricking pull down menu to select the product and it's corresponding recall notice. The ONLY reason they are doing this is that they would be in a world of legal hurt if they don't. They are definitely not doing it out of the kindess of their hearts - my group (and my LDS) have been telling them for almost a year now that there is something wrong with it, and they have done nothing but deny it.

I can't beleav that they can keep selling these things and not take any resposability for them . Any missleading information on a gage could be life threatening. Thats why we by them is to be safe not to put ouselfs in danger.

Thank you
I will never by a Uwatec.

Thanks again and keep up the good fight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom