UWATEC SMART PRO OR SUUNTO VYTEC

• UWATEC SMART PRO

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • SUUNTO VYTEC

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mokkaran

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm thinking about buying a new computer which is capable for technicle diving. So I would like to ask the pros which one provides better performance and reliable between the Smart Pro & the Vytec. Thank you

Well the Smart Pro won't be out for a while and will cost a lot more than the Vyper. I had the same decision to make a couple of weeks ago between the Vyper and Pro Ultra, BOTH are fine pieces of equipment and I went with the Pro Ultra. It basically came down to display preferrence (I would rather have numbers than graphs) for me.

OOOOOPPPPSSSSSS, my bad.......I was thinking Vyper until I reread your message again :(

The Vytec can handle 3 different gas mixes and also it can be put into a bottom timer mode without connecting to a computer. Also, right now the Smart Pro is in recall and most production is going for replacement units. Don't let anyone sell you a Smart Pro that has to be sent back for the recall.

I am a Uwatec fan and am not ashamed of it. I have a SmartCom and an older NitroxPro that is noy called the ProUltra. I already have my SmartCom back from the recall cycle and have enjoyed using it on the 100 or so dives I have on it.

I can't speak to the Suunto but imagine it is a fine machine.

I like the ease of using the IR computer interface on the SmartCom and not having to buy any additional interface device (like the Memo Mouse for the older computers) to get to the PC functions.

I can speak to both...since I have both...well not really, I have the Vytec and the Air Z Nitrox (used to have a smartcom, sent the smartcom in for the Air Z upgrade and bought a Vytec while waiting).

Get the Vytec! You wont regret it, I have relegated my UWATEC to position of backup.

The Vytec allows you to enter up to 3 different gas mixtures, and are switchable DURING the dive. You can also switch to gauge mode with just a couple pushes of the buttons.

I also like the logging software better too.

PM me if you have specific questions, and I will try my best to give you my objective answers.

yup, go with the VYTEC.

i love it. very easy to move through it. can program 3 gas mixes, and switch between them during the dive. i love mine. yeah, buying the extra cable to download the logs kinda sucks, but the logging software is excellent.

and looking at my ultimate dive vacation, the VYTEC is listed as one of the recommended dive computers for diving Bikini Atoll.

BradfordNC once bubbled...

and looking at my ultimate dive vacation, the VYTEC is listed as one of the recommended dive computers for diving Bikini Atoll. [/B]

I've never heard of a particular computer being recommended for a particular dive site. Who made the recommendation and what does it mean?

JeffMandell once bubbled...

I've never heard of a particular computer being recommended for a particular dive site. Who made the recommendation and what does it mean?

All dives in Bikini are deep (around 160fsw-180fsw max depth) deco (30 min bottom time) dives.
They use EAN75 (or so) to decompress.

Most computers don't do gas switches, and they tend to get bent in a few days (= you can't use them for 48 hours = no diving for you either).

Some of the liberal single gass computers (say Uwatec ) don't get bent . These are "minimum" for diving the Bikini wrecks.

Multigass computers don't get bent because you can switch your deco gas. They are "recomended" Bikini computers.

You can have look at : http://www.bikiniatoll.com/fabioletter.html#Anchor-DIVING-47857
and just scroll down a bit to find the computer section.

Regards,
Vlad

Ok... based on everyone's vote of the Vytec (and the thumbs up of a lot of divers I know for the Vyper) ... I decided to get the Vytec...got one for a pretty good deal I think. Around US$380 without the transmitter

We'll see how it performs in my AOW classes this weekend :)

I'm pretty happy with it... buttons are easier to press when wearing gloves thanks to the housing. I love UWATEC's styling though, but I'm not too fond of the 'water contact' buttons since I can't use these things when I'm wearing gloves.

Interface is pretty simple... and straight forward. Dive plan & simulator are pretty simple...I was expecting a complex interface... there seems to be no way of really screwing up this thing, unless you input the wrong initial data (altitude, persoanl settings, turn off alarms, & forget to set max depth etc...)

I just hope I didn't get a lemon. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom