Uwatec Smart Com, Users info needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuckitall

Contributor
Reaction score
Wife bought The computer, but I have been designated to figure it out. Can't find in the manual, does it have date and time? Also is there any tricks on how to use the wet contact type buttons. I"ve played with it for an hour and still can't get a system down on wetting my fingers constantly. Is this a great computer or did wife make a mistake. It is definately harder to set than a pro plus 2. Help.

No it doesn't have a way to display date and time.

Try cleaning the terminals by wiping them with a pencil eraser. Also, be sure it has been rinsed in fresh water (and preferably dried.) Salt water and residue can screw things up.

I dive a Uwatec Smartec and really like it as a recreational computer. (Need to update to a Liquivision X1 though!)

Good luck. Hope she likes it!

Chuckitall:
Wife bought The computer, but I have been designated to figure it out. Can't find in the manual, does it have date and time? Also is there any tricks on how to use the wet contact type buttons. I"ve played with it for an hour and still can't get a system down on wetting my fingers constantly. Is this a great computer or did wife make a mistake. It is definately harder to set than a pro plus 2. Help.

Hello Chuckitall,

As Sharky noted, it will not display date and time. However, this info is stored in the computer and will be available when you download the dive data.

In terms of the connectors, I find that licking my thumb and forefinger and using them to touch the contact works for me...

Also, you didn't ask about it, but I assume you may also be having trouble finding the backlight. You simply need to press on the upper part of the "frame", and it will turn on.

I have had mine for 3 years, and have generally been very happy with it.

Good luck!

Alex

Sometimes it's hit or miss with the "buttons." If you didn't know, you have to touch the bottom contact AND one of the three top ones. I believe to turn it on is the right contact.
The middle and left buttons (and of course like always, in combination of also touching the bottom contact) are to scroll right and left, and the right contact is to select.

In case you need to understand what the icons you scroll through are, the left most is the "dive planner", the next is your logged dives (#1 being your most recent), the next is the temperature and current mixture display, then the O2 percentage selector, then the "microbubble" level which determines how conservative it is when determining your remaining bottom time. A higher number (if I remember correctly) will cause you to go through more deco (or deco PERIOD, even if you are diving withing the limits of the standard table).

And trust me, she made a great decision. It's a great computer. I love mine. I only wish it did more than a single gas for multi-gas deco.

Hope it helps!

Chuckitall:
The buttons are a design feature, but not especially user friendly.

Because they're just contacts with no moving parts, they will never leak or get corroded or fail. They're also a little hard to get used to.

OTOH, you don't really need them for anything, unless you dive Nitrox and want to change the mix while on the boat. The computer turns itself on and off at appropriate times.

There is nothing to set or play with underwater, except the back-light, which you activate by squeezing a magic spot on the side of the case.

You'll need an Infra-Red computer interface and the Smart Trak software (free D/L from Uwatec) to configure it initially. If you don't have one, your dealer or a friend can do it for you.

It's a really nice computer. If you listen to it and learn what the display is telling you, it will do it's best to give you a safe dive.

Terry

I have been diving mine for over two years and have over 200 dives with the SmartCom. I have been very pleased. You only get limited amount of info from the computer log mode display. But when it is down loaded there is tons of info.

My only real complete is that it doesn't have count down safety stop timer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom