Uwatec Ndl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarleyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hit my NDL on my uwatec Smartcom last week while my buddy still had several minutes left .(110 ft on the grove). I burned off its requirement for a 1 min deco stop during our slow assent to our safety stop.

I had not realized what a difference the microbubble level setting has.

My concern is that even at setting 0, the NDL's are still several minutes shorter than the PADI tables. in some cases as much as 6 minutes. This is true for air as well as 32% & 36% nitrox.

My question is : Is this normal for this computer?

I don't mind conservative formulas, but I would like to know its intentional, not a defect.

The answer to "is it normal" is yes.

Aladin computers are a bit conservative on the first dive, but more liberal than Suunto computers on repetitive dives. What kind of computer did your Buddy have? Probably an Aeris or Oceanic. Those are very liberal on NDL's but according to a test in a German magazine they run up very long stop times once you go past the NDL. No free lunch. Want a really liberal computer? Try a Cochran or a Polar. The latter is available for only $199 from www.divers-supply.com and neither of those two will lock out.

I wonder how often this happens.

jonnythan once bubbled...
I wonder how often this happens.

I am not sure what your question is, but most contemporary dive computers will give a shorter no stop time than the tables for a square dive profile.

leadweight once bubbled...

I am not sure what your question is, but most contemporary dive computers will give a shorter no stop time than the tables for a square dive profile.

I meant I wonder how often people just go right past the NDL on their computers.

I usually cut tables and I dive a cochran commander 2 gas computer.

I have the cochran set at 10% conservatism and find that it sits close to my tables, which keeps me "comfortable".

If you find the computer is "to conservative" for you, then use the tables ans if you "get a deco" stop required, burn the gas if its there to use.

If you start wanting "longer" bottom times, maybe it's time for some further training that includes training for decompression diving.:)

jonnythan once bubbled...

I meant I wonder how often people just go right past the NDL on their computers.

By definition recreational diving is no stop and often prohibited by many dive operators. I had been diving for a while before I did it on a dive where my buddy had nitrox and I was breating air. Like the above post my meter gave me a 1 minute stop and cleared on the way up the line.

On wall dives in Roatan I have seen quite a few divers going deep and running up deco obligations and I have done it myself there, on a planned basis, with lots of air left over.

Some dive computers blur the line between no stop diving and deco stop diving. The very popular Suunto computers have a "mandatory safety stop" when the ascent rate is violated. My understanding is the computer will not lock out if this stop is missed, but it will reduce no stop times on subsequent dives.

leadweight once bubbled...

Some dive computers blur the line between no stop diving and deco stop diving. The very popular Suunto computers have a "mandatory safety stop" when the ascent rate is violated. My understanding is the computer will not lock out if this stop is missed, but it will reduce no stop times on subsequent dives.

I'm sure it is just a wording difference but the Suunto computers have a "mandatory" safety stop anytime you go below ~33 feet, ascent rate violation or not. If you continually violate the ascent rate you will get a deep safety stop in order to off gas at a deeper depth. If you continually violate these. You will get the "Mandatory 24 Lockout" once you hit the surface.

Suunto also does the rolling deco. If you violate the NDL it will give you the amout of time it should take you to surface INCLUDING your 3 minute safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom