uwatec lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the essence of the complaint here appears to be not just that Uwatec made the computer with bad assumptions, but that when they came to light, and the company's engineers agreed that the assumptions were bad in the software, that management then constructively hid this fact both from the public AND from Johnson Outdoors prior to the acquisition of Uwatec, and then further, once Johnson Outdoors became aware of it (the parent of Uwatec and Scubapro now) THEY constructively hid it!

I believe, as a non-lawyer, that the key here is that the company's own internal folks knew there was a defect - an error - and intentionally covered it up.

Now did that cover-up actually cause the DCI cases? That's a second, but key question. If not, then the error is irrelavent. But, it appears - at least from what I've read on this - that the error at least contributed to the injuries, and may have been essentially the entire cause of them given that the divers relied on the information presented.

I bet discovery on this case gets REAL interesting.

For those of you who would like to stay updated on the Raimo case:

The Concannon law firm has info on their clients case on their website at

http://www.davidconcannon.com/pages/5/index.htm

including an internal memo regarding the problem and a letter to Rob Palmer on how to circumvent it (pdf file). It is indeed intresting, Genesis. More 'discovery' is supposed to be posted there as well.

That looks like a mighty fine gun you have there sir, and there be smoke issuing from the barrel!

Is the Aladin Air X Nitrox the only computer made by uawtec with this defect? I have an Aldin Pro Nitrox from about the same time (1995-1996). Are all the injuries and subsequent lawsuits concerning ONLY the Air X? Have had no problems with my pro ultra, and haven't heard of any.ZG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom