Uwatec Lawsuit Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just gave up my smartcom and upgraded to the air z nitrox. I dove last night with it, the hell with the smartcom, this is so much better. Nothing dangling or fumbling to read it. The smartcom worked great but I should've gotten the rist unit a longtime ago.

Cool. Glad you got something that works :) I'm looking forward to my wrist computer as well...

I bought my Smartcom in June and just picked up the recal notice from the local FedX office.

I bought the SmartCom from a local LDS just for an issue like this. I would really like to upgrade to the A/I Nitrox Z unit but dont know:
#1 How hard to push the issue?
#2 What kind of deal can I negotiate?
#3 Should I deal with the LDS or ScubaPro?

Can anyone else who has tried doing this give me some feedback?

Thank you

Depends on why you want a different computer partially...are you using this as an excuse to upgrade or do you honestly not want the computer???

I pushed very hard. I spoke w/ my LDS first and asked about credit. They said ScubaPro wasn't giving credit so there wasn't much they could do. Understandable. So, I called SP and told them flat out (well, I left a message anyway) that I didn't want another one of their computers and they absolutely needed to give store credit to me. No other options. They tried to get me an Air Z but I told them I didn't want it.

pos-tech once babbled...
LP will not do anything.
It's not an issue with LP. This is an issue with Scubapro. Why should LP, or any LDS, be responsible for taking a unit costing several hundred dollars out of stock and loaning it out while SP makes the repairs? That's a unit that they can't sell as new, so they would be stuck throwing it into the "rental fleet".

Maybe a shop could handle that on one or two, but what if it's 15 or 20? If I were the owner/manager of an LDS, I wouldn't loan one out, even from the "rental fleet"... especially if the owner elected to send their unit in for upgrade during my peak season.

If you NEED a computer to dive, then rent one.

One has to wonder if this recall is an admission of a breach of the implied warranty of merchantability, and therefore would entitle anyone who cared to raise a sufficient stink about it to a refund of the purchase price?

I think that would be what I'd be looking for if I was in this situation....

Air Z Nitrox is an upgrade? I'm waiting on my box from SP to replace my Smart Com (AI model) but went to Roatan, Honduras last week. I used the LDS owners old Air Z 02 Nitrox on my trip. It is a nice computer, hoseless and all, but it isn't the state of the art computer from Uwatec. The flagship models are the Smart Com & Pro. Uwatec's website will confirm this as true. I know the Air Z is a few more dollars (wireless transmitter and a memo mouse needed), but that computer is older and has less features. Less info on download and you have to shoot the dives into that stupid memo mouse every 2 dives if you want the complete profile upon download, unlike the 90 dives the Smart holds. Wireless is nice and the wrist Smart will probally be AI later this year or early next, that will be an upgrade, not a 5+ year old computer.(Mabee older than that, can't remember) I will wait and get mine replaced, not haggle with SP to get their old, soon to be discontinued model (Air Z).

The air z is an upgrade, half of the smartcoms functions are not usable simultaneously. It is not used for planned decompression dives and its another thing hanging with a hose. Thats my main reason for it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great computer, but not the one for me. I dove the air z once and loved it. The air z does exactly what I need it to do, I did not know how to use some of the smartcoms advanced features anyway. Don't let this become a war, I prefer the air z over the smartcom. Also, without the extra hose, my regs fit the reg bag better :)

Hey, thats cool, dive what you like. I was tired of seeing the word "upgrade". It is incorrect. The Air Z is a fine computer and is totally useable for many years to come I'm sure. Hell, some peaple still dive old "bricks" safely with no complications. I liked the hoseless and will probally get a hoseless smart when they are availible, and give my console to my wife. (she is diving a suunto mosquito now and using a sp mini guage). As far as decompression dive planning, I dont know which is better, probally niether, these are recreational computers, not tec diving, tri gas, gas switching, blah blah blah. Although, I do know a few peaple who use the Air Z with a rebreather, but I'm not trained in the use of that equiptment, so I couldn't comment on the advantages and disadvantages. The cool thing about the smart is the micro bubble feature. DAN has shown level stops are the way to go to prevent deco sickness. I am just trying to stay out of the chamber and prevent any long term damage from repetitive diving and the smart has a good level stop program. (I guess, when it works, I shouldn't have bought the beta 1.0 version!!!) Happy and safe diving to all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom