Uwatec Lawsuit Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7 once bubbled...

Maybe time to look for some (used, inexpensive) back-up instruments ... :rolleyes:

You hit the nail on the head with that one though in a round about way. Not everyone that chooses to dive with a computer can, at the time, afford to buy redundant equipment. I know that I layed down almost $1400 for my computer and regs. Considering I am in college, and recently married that is a toin of cash. When my finances allow I will buy another computer but until then I have rely somewhat on the computer I won. Hopefully Uwatec/Scuba Pro will let me switch models so I can get back in the water again.

Who can afford back up instruments when you are still putting your kit together? I'm *almost* at the point where I've got everything I need, but still need/want a few things. When I've blown my cash-wad on everything that will get me doing the dives I want to do, then I'll go back and deal with redundancy.

If an SPG fails at depth, you are SOL no matterIf my bottom timer/depth gauge fails...big deal...go to buddy, have buddy ascend ahead of you to help judge depth and ascent rate.

scubasean once bubbled...

People say its the attorneys that are the problem, but I think its the mindset of the people. :)

I agree!

The idea of a lawsuit probably won't fly. Don't be so litigous!!

If you are in such a hurry, just call them and demand store credit. Then, you can get a different computer right away if you really want...

And since when does a voluntary recall mean you can sue the company?

And on the redudancy thing...yeah. I've been diving a year now, and I'm finally settling into all the gear I need. Just put H-Valves on my tanks, got my second regulator...NOW I can finally look at picking up the last bits and pieces of redundant gear.

I assumed most people first bought some instruments and later upgrated to an expensive computer. That's what I did. Still and all, the basic instruments (time, depth, pressure) ought to be part of any kit. Will probably save the day sooner or later, or in this case, the summer or season.
Those of you who bought from your LDS, try to get loaners for some dives. I can't believe your stores won't support you. As for LP and like customers, there goes the savings. You gotta rent the stuff or SOL.

My store is helping :) I won't be w/ out anything I need at all.

The LDS i bought from offered up one of its rental computers anytime I want to dive and is checking out the cost of upgrading to the Air Z Nitrox. One person had told me they would do it for $160. If that is the case I will be going AI in a just a couple of weeks.

negrats once bubbled...
By the way I personally liked the Smart Com I had. Worked fine until this recall occured. Still is the one the most advanced computers on the market. [/B]

Thats a matter of opinon and hotly debated because thats not quite true.

Yeah...if you look at the Nitek Plus, which is what I'm replacing my SmartCom with, you'll wonder why you ever went w/ such a huge ugly beast.

The nitek is TINY...does two gases that you can switch underwater...water temp, backlit, logbook, transfer to PC...it has all the features of the Smart computer and MORE in such a tiny form factor...and it's only $500 MSRP.

Omicron, the Nitec+ is a good little computer. Does a lot for its small size and the money you spend on it. 2 mixes and full gauge mode is great to have. Good backlight, too. Strap is long enough for my drysuit. And you can not just call up three logbook pages per dive, but you can 'run through' the dive without a computer. (You could actually plot the dive yourself without a PC) and the manual is online (PDF) so you can read it before buying. :)
And it's a DiveRite, which in my experience has great customer service.

But there are a few disadvantages. The algorithm has no RGBM or microbubbles at all. The display is very small. Main numbers are easy to read, but their description/units are not (in that respect Uwatecs are second only to the HS Explorer). You need to flip through several screens to read all the info while diving.

I'm looking forward to diving with that thing - the screen size doesn't bother me a whole lot...and I never did use the microbubble supression on my SmartCom, so I'm kind of having the opinion that I'm kind of upgrading :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom