Uwatec Galileo Luna - With or without transmitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mockney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice if you can please?.

I want to buy a new dive computer and quite like the look of the Luna. I have seen one on eBay local to me. The price is half price on a new one looks in good condition only used on a couple of dives.

The issue is its without the transmitter. So my questions is...can I buy this separately and get it to sync up with my Luna?. end question is the transmitter HUGLEY expensive to purchase on its own?.

I do really want to be able to do away with my additional hose with my compass and air gauge so I will want a dive computer that can do both. So without the transmitter or the option of buying one separately its not much use to me.

Many Thanks
Paul

OK thanks, I will keep an eye open for a transmitter. Just wanted to check there was not issues associated with buying one without the other.

My wife and I have two Lunas and three transmitters. I move the transmitters between the many sets of regulators that I use. I just have to remember to pair up the transmitters with the Lunas during the initial set up before the dive. One of my favorite features is the Luna will display your buddy's pressure if your buddy has a transmitter and you remember to pair it up as the buddy. Not that I have to worry about my wife, she uses about half the gas that I do during a dive.

I got a good price on my third transmitter from Beaverdivers (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/beaverdivers-395469.html ) Check with them if they can ship to Australia and can sell it to you at a favorable cost.

I personally wouldn't recommend abandoning your hose with SPG. You have an octopus in case your primary reg fails, yes? What will you do to monitor air pressure if your computer transmitter fails?

I had a Luna and had numerous problems with it dropping connection during dives. A good friend of mine has one and is experiencing the same issue, even after changing out all the batteries.

Air integration is a nice idea but in practice it quite often doesn't work as well as you might hope.

-Adrian

Thanks for the advice and link, I will look at these if I buy the Luna I do like the idea of being able to monitor your buddy's air as well as yours... I don't have a dedicated buddy as such so not really something I could use but I do like the idea..

My wife can't swim let alone dive so she most definitely won't need one :)...

I personally wouldn't recommend abandoning your hose with SPG. You have an octopus in case your primary reg fails, yes? What will you do to monitor air pressure if your computer transmitter fails?

I had a Luna and had numerous problems with it dropping connection during dives. A good friend of mine has one and is experiencing the same issue, even after changing out all the batteries.

Air integration is a nice idea but in practice it quite often doesn't work as well as you might hope.

-Adrian

I agree, I always dive with an SPG as well as the transmitter. I've had a few problems with the Luna.

Thanks mate for your post and comments, I do get what your saying I appreciate the scenario would be an issue but it should be more of an irritation rather than a massive safety problem. I always have a buddy in tow and regularly check my air on every dive so if that did happen, for me, it's a case of dive ends right there & normal exit procedures apply...

The fact I wont know what my air reading is while I ascend and complete a safety stop shouldn't present a massive risk. It may just piss off my buddy if it happens on a regular basis, but I think on balance I want to give the latest tech a go.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
My Luna, now my gf's luna actually, has 711 (yes I just checked) dives on it. I bought it new, and have never had issues with transmitter dropping. I do not use electrical sync strobes underwater, which some people say causes this to happen.

I highly suggest my strap to bungee modification as the older straps were prone to tearing. The new material has supposedly rectified this. That said, even though SP replaced my strap, the bungee is better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom