Uwatec Dive Timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Kangaroo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
UK / Thailand / Honduras / Red Sea / Med / Oz whe
Uwatec Dive Timer

This is by far the best bit of gear I own ( solid , cheap , reliable, etc etc) with the one exception ....
yes you all know it - the battery can't be changed.

Maybe I'm a bit mean - after all it's faultlessly performed for over 700 dives but, hey why buy another if I can hack this one and change the battery myself.

So any suggestions ? Anyone done it ?

Blue Kangaroo

Nope Ive never done it but send me yours and I'll see if it can be done:eek:ut: . Why dont you get it done at your LDS and ask if you can watch. Then the next time you can try it yourself.

:spaninq:

I don't think the battery can be changed by an LDS on Uwatec bottom timers & computers. I was told by mine that they need to be sent back to the factory for the replacement. But then again, who knows. Things may have changed since then.

-Roman.

I thought the deal was you throw it away when the battery goes and buy another one? These units are supposed to be potted ... ie: sealed in epoxy...

Question - do they auto adjust for salt vs. fresh water?

I just sent my Air X back to have the battery changed and the unit serviced. Scuba Pro will only upgrade these units with the new Air Z for $300, there is no battery replacement available.

You might want to have your LDS check and see if there is an upgrade for your unit before trying to hack into it and voiding any chance to get it replaced.

Scott

thanks guys. I guess I'll check with a LDS but I suspect I'll just buy another. After all I do really like them.

When I've got another I'll hack it and let you all know. - anyone got any good glue !!!!!

"Atticas
Question - do they auto adjust for salt vs. fresh water?"

No it doesn't. I suspect the depth readings are based upon salt water but I really don't know. The kind of diving I do doesn't really warrent any additonal calculations - water is water.

I would be very interested to hear situations where folk need to make those kinda fine tunning adjustments. Always keen to learn

Blue

All Uwatec computers & bottom timers are calibrated for fresh water. No salt water in Switzerland, y'know! Just those nice freshwater mountain lakes :wink: This results in the devices indicating 1ft deeper for every 33 feet of depth. I.e. at 66fsw it'll show 68, at 99fsw it'll show 102, and so on...

-Roman.

Thanks NotABob!

As to why I care - I'd like my depth readings to agree on each instrument I carry. I agree that a 3% difference in depth probably isn't going to hurt anyone.

I was told by a tech instructor that if your Suunto and your Uwatec agree, then your Suunto is broadcasting in FFW because Uwatec always broadcasts in FFW.

Since mine both agree, I presumed that I was getting FFW readouts even in the ocean. Since that is conservative for stage deco purposes, I was not worried about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom