Uwatec Aladin sport dive computer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Aladin Sport (with the holes in the silver pins). I just had a quote from the local dive shop to replace the battery for $200. They send it off to Uwatec & it gets shipped back & forth, so a bit of extra cost. Given that the device is at least 10 years old and that an up-to-date model is going for around $350, I think I'll take the risk & try doing it myself.

I've seen a few videos out there that walk through the process, so I'll post the outcome (and the method I used) once I work up the courage to take a crack at it.

(my model is shown in the attached image)
I think your LDS was being less than truthful. AFAIK Scubapro has not provided battery replacements for many (many!) years for these computers. Some shady LDS will give you a quote and then later tell you "no go, but we can give you a deal on a new one...". Slime.

Check the side of your computer. It will be embossed with a tested date. Mine is "tested 07.95". So my sport is just over 20 years old...

Make sure you buy a battery that has the tabs. SAFT LS14500 comes in 3 different models: button top, axial lead and tabs. A quick check of ebay indicates the price has gone way up. $18 canuck for 2 batteries, free shipping from china.

The hardest part is getting it back together and NOT having an air bubble. I have had more success with a very deep container of oil to reassemble it in. Bubbles will affect the accuracy of the depth sensor. Not sure by how much.

Hi giffenk, thanks for your quick reply. I suspected the same :). There's a complete walkthrough that looks like my model at "Aladin® PRO / SPORT and DIY battery exchange" that I think I'll follow. The details I have on the side of mine are "tested-AL" on one side & "55415" stamped on the other. Not sure if that can be resolved to a date, but it's too old for me to remember exactly.

Great tip on the oil bath. The vid I've referenced above uses a clever syringe approach, but I can see that air bubble removal will be a pain point when reassembling.

I'll take your advice & take care when selecting the battery. I reckon the price is fine compared to a new computer (and the exercise is kind of an interesting task to have a crack at).

I've also gone searching the web for the original DataTrak software & hardware interface and have found a few sites that have some options there, so I might even play around with soldering up a new interface (Aladin-Interface), even though it's only the one-way data transfer.

We can replace the battery on your Aladin Pro for $ 65, plus about $ 10 return shipping to lower 48 states. We are in down town Fort Lauderdale. Check our website: www.divewatchdoctor.com. Trouble is not only to solder the new battery to the circuit board, refilling the mineral oil but, afterwards, knowing how to reset it to indicate 99% charge.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom