UW tripod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NotoriousBOB

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, Wondered if anyone has any thoughts on what tripod to use for underwater photos. My thoughts were use a very cheap one as it's probably gonna get wrecked.........anyone else????
Cheers
BOB

The first thought that occurs to me is "where would you place it?"

I figure you're either going to be stirring up silt, damaging a reef, damaging a wreck, or some combination thereof. Motion is much steadier underwater, so shaking isn't really a problem.. just use a film and aperature that lets you shoot at 1/60 or faster and you should be ok.

NotoriousBOB:
Hi all, Wondered if anyone has any thoughts on what tripod to use for underwater photos. My thoughts were use a very cheap one as it's probably gonna get wrecked.........anyone else????
Cheers
BOB

I wouldn't have thought there would be a need....

A tripod is useless, given two factors, one of which was mentioned: Mantra dictates that one shouldn't be touching the reef, bottom etc; the second is that a tripod relies on gravity, and most housing rigs are very close to neutrally bouyant, so a tripod would provide no benefit whatsoever. Besides, divers carry so much cr*p with them anyway, so a tripod is a disaster waiting to happen...

BOB, although I haven't ever used a tripod underwater, I have long admired the work of Leigh Bishop, who uses a Velbon tripod extensively to produce some stunning images .

All the best, James

Thanks for the input, of course I wont be putting the tripod anywhere to damage marine growth, I am a responsible well educated diver before being a photographer. Fortunatly there are sandy areas and bare rock around in Cornwall UK so shouldnt be dificult to find a suitable harmless spot .
My need for a support is due to me wanting to use shutter speeds in excess of 10 secs for my scenes.
A bit hastey to call a tripod useless eh?

Yes Fdog, Leigh Bishop's work rocks!

NotoriousBOB:
Cheers
BOB
I bought a cheap one from a thrift store for about 10 dollars. It's all aluminum so I'm not too worried about corrosion. I just rinse it off with fresh water after diving.

I was thinking about the same thing a while back, but more along the lines of a Mono-pod?? one leg to steady.
Of course not damageing any reef etc... or a belt mono-pod that is secured by a cup? on a belt...
Just an idea... would be good for natural light shots in dim light eh???

The Nikonos RS is/was a good camera to use with a tripod, great for photographing shy critters like garden eels. The unique aspect of the RS is that if used in conjunction with the SB-104 strobe its shutter could be triggered using a flash.

Other uses for a tripod would be wreck photography and other wide angle shots in low light conditions. in reality the very small surface area a tripod comes in contact with the bottom may do little or no damage ( same goes for the current hooks used in Palau ) , that is of course only true if the user used great care and thought in setting a tripod up.

My choice would be to use a cheap tripod as making one from arm components is expensive and will most likely weigh more. also regular tripods with adjustable legs are much easier to use on uneven surfaces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom