uv filter size on oly c-5050 and pt015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beepbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Okay I just put my order in for a brand spanking new Oly C-5050 today after reading just about every thread here on it for the past 3 months. :wink: The housing will be purchased next month.

What size uv filter and adaptor do you use Top side to protect the lens? I've seen stuff from 41 mm to 52 mm, shims, and adaptors. Do I need a polarizing filter?

What is the maximum size to fit in the housing? Do I need it in the housing? I'm a little confused after finding this other link.
http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/c-2000z/filters/#first

Thanks! I can't wait to start playing with it!

beepbird

The subject of filters seems to be the hot topic on the photo forums this week! :eek:ut:

I can understand wanting to protect the lens but just how rambunctous do you plan to be? I'm careful with my camera and replace the protective cap when I'm not using it. I'm not sure what size filter would fit the camera itself. That info can probably be found on one of the review sites, such as Steve's Digi-cams.

You don't say which housing you plan to use. If it's the Oly PT-15, the external port size is 67mm. I use a cap on it when it's out of the water for protection. As for filters, I just don't feel they are justified. The glass of the lens port is replaceable, although it would be a pain to send it in to be replaced. If you attach a filter of any sort to the housing, you'll have to make exposure adjustments to allow for the interference of the filter. Color filters are not necessary. Without a strobe they just color the whole picture. And with a good strobe, filters are totally not necessary as the strobe will provide the light you need for the correct colors.

My opinion is to save your money and don't make things harder than they have to be. Save and buy a good external strobe.

What size uv filter and adaptor do you use Top side to protect the lens? I've seen stuff from 41 mm to 52 mm, shims, and adaptors. Do I need a polarizing filter?
Topside you'll need an extension tube before you can attach any filters: CLA-1. It's a 41 to 43mm tube ie your Oly 5050 lens thread is 41mm and the tube ends with a 43mm dia. So any filters that have a 43mm thread will fit.
I don't have the tube but there is a possibility that you can have a 'lens crash' with some filters ie the lens of the camera, while extending, will hit the filter because the CLA-1 isn't long enough. In that case you'll need to use a 43-43 'shim' ring or a step-up ring (SUR4355) which will step the dia from 43 to 55 (you'll need 55mm filters then). Proceed with caution.
Note: this contraption will then not fit into the standard Oly camera case.
Your need of a polarizing filter depends on what you're shooting topside.

You'll need to remove the tube before you put the camera into the housing.

Like Dee said don't worry about filters on the outside of the housing for now. If you're still interested then the dia of the PT housing is 67mm. To protect the port use a lens cap, cold drink holder or (like me) the back lens cap of the PWC-01 wide angle lens.

ReyeR once bubbled...

Topside you'll need an extension tube before you can attach any filters: CLA-1. It's a 41 to 43mm tube ie your Oly 5050 lens thread is 41mm and the tube ends with a 43mm dia. So any filters that have a 43mm thread will fit.
I don't have the tube but there is a possibility that you can have a 'lens crash' with some filters ie the lens of the camera, while extending, will hit the filter because the CLA-1 isn't long enough. In that case you'll need to use a 43-43 'shim' ring or a step-up ring (SUR4355) which will step the dia from 43 to 55 (you'll need 55mm filters then). Proceed with caution.
Note: this contraption will then not fit into the standard Oly camera case.
Your need of a polarizing filter depends on what you're shooting topside.

You'll need to remove the tube before you put the camera into the housing.

Like Dee said don't worry about filters on the outside of the housing for now. If you're still interested then the dia of the PT housing is 67mm. To protect the port use a lens cap, cold drink holder or (like me) the back lens cap of the PWC-01 wide angle lens.

not too sure what they quote in the US, but most of th blurb i have seen over here, whcih i followed was the 41 - 43 tube and a 43 to 46 step up ring (sometime going too big on the step ups can take you into the next price range on filters)

Tiffen also makes a tube 41-43 # tif-olyc3000ad I think

I have the olympus tube(used on the old setup) and the step up to 55 (lens doesnt hit the filter) BUT at 55 mm it will block the flash in closeups (lower left corner) Normally I dont have it attached for inside use but this shows what I mean....

Thanks for all your expertise.

Am I correct in understanding that when I get the PT-015 housing, only the camera fits in, no adaptors, filters, etc on the inside?

I'm so grateful for the wisdom on this board!

beepbird

While we are on this housing subject. Finesse do you or any of the other readers know if 5050Z will fit into PT-015 housing?

I guess I'm not real sure what the difference is between a 5050 and a 5050Z other than the zoom feature and I have to guess that the housing will not suport it?

Any info is greatly appreciated..
Wally_llamma
ChrisR

Wally_lamma once bubbled...
While we are on this housing subject. Finesse do you or any of the other readers know if 5050Z will fit into PT-015 housing?

I guess I'm not real sure what the difference is between a 5050 and a 5050Z other than the zoom feature and I have to guess that the housing will not suport it?

Any info is greatly appreciated..
Wally_llamma
ChrisR

Unless there is a real new model ….. There is only one Olympus 5050......But it is referred to as C5050Z, C 5050, 5050 ....and so on

Those are just abbreviations for .....
Camedia 5050 Zoom

The model number on the front of the camera is C-5050 ZOOM
Yes it fits in that housing

Dee has a good point. If you are carefull and take care of your gear, you probably wont need a UV protection filter. However, it's always easier to repalce the filter than the front element.

You are much better off buying a lens hood . A lens hood has saved my lenses. Plastic dies and saves the lens. My UV filters never saved my lenses when I was using them. Also, a lens hood will improve your image quality by reducing flare and increasing contrast. UV filters won't improve your image quality and (could) decrease it if you buy a bad filter (I have yet to see a study on the effect of filters on image quality).

A UV filter might help with haze up at the altitude where I am at, but it won't help you near sea level and it certainly won't do anything at all underwater.

Back
Top Bottom