UV Blocking Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wonderand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently had PRK (laser eye surgery) and am cleared by my doctor to go diving again, but he advised me to wear sunglasses any time I'm outside for the next 6 months. Based on the advice in other threads here, I'll keep a cheap pair of sunglasses in my bcd pocket for when I'm on the surface, but I'm curious about UV blocking masks like the Seadive Rayblocker's or others with UV coating. I called XS and they couldn't give me an exact percentage of the UV blocking properties, but just said it's anti-UV. Tusa Paragon do advertise 100% UV blocking but are more than I'd like to spend. Any others that anyone might recommend?

Also, I know it's probably overkill considering I'll be looking down for the most part, but I'm planning on a tropical dive in a few months so I just want to be extra careful.

Thanks!

Glass blocks UVB, which is what causes sunburn and the most dangerous form of skin cancer. But it does let through UVA, which is less dangerous but primarily responsible for age wrinkles and increases the risk for most skin cancers.

So I'd look for labeling that specifies 100% UVA (and UVB) protection, which has legal testing requirements in the US. Otherwise, you might be getting nothing more than the natural UVB protection of glass sold as a marketing exercise.

Most (all?) color correcting and tinted masks are fully UV protective. Promate makes a bargain mask on this category: Promate Sea Viewer Underwater Color Correction Mask 100% UV Protection

Back
Top Bottom