Uv 26 conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are my two battery packs I built. They have a top grade smart bms with Bluetooth.
Each battery weighs 5.5lbs. With a capable max continuous discharge of 60 amps each, combined they can discharge 120 amps. Voltage is 29.4 and 21ah each, so combined in parallel they are 42 ah
With Uv-26 motor at full speed the max amps used is 30amp,and motor pulls 800w with max pitch running against a wall.

IMG_1087.JPG

This 100amp bms is fully configurable from my iphone , low/high volt cut off, amps, short circuit and charge protection, ....etc. You charge and discharge from same wires which is better for paralleling lithium batteries. Some other bms do not parallel well if they have separate charging wires.

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1076.PNG

The inner derilin tube was shortened by 1''. You have room to shorten max 1.5'' if you want but the clips will be practically touching bottom battery holder plate.
The cutting of hull and inner tube and re-tapping threads for clamps was done by a machinist. The diameter of the 10'' hull seemed to be an issue for some machinist due to not having equipment to accommodate the size, so need to shop around for one that handle the size.
This helped me to shorten the body to 10 inches, by lowering the battery pack deeper in the hull.

IMG_1094.JPG

The fit is tight with barley one centimeter to spare on the circumference. This fit is perfect so the battery cannot move in the body and cause unwanted issues while diving.

IMG_E1109.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

This is the final product. 52lbs before ballast weight and 60lbs with ballast.

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

I have left to install the ESC which I purchased from Smart-Dpv and am waiting for delivery. It will have 8 customizable speeds with 2 clicks to upshift and 1 click to down shift and 3 clicks for full speed. Also seems to be able to log data and you can download info to computer.

@tbone1004 yes it trims out very nice, but most of the ballast needs to be in the nose. I prefer it on the ever so slightly negative side. Only because I prefer the scooter to settle on the bottom if I put it in the water before I’m ready to clip it on and go. Or if it detached from me I know to look for it on the bottom rather than it just drift away.
I haven’t got to spend some good time to fine tune the trim but got very close. My wife is an expert ‘honey do list ‘writer.
With 8lbs in the nose, I’m pretty sure it can be shortened more.

Wouldn't it be ultimately more rewarding just buying a newer DPV that is lighter and has more features? As a prior UV26 owner, even in your case with a reduced weight, it is still too heavy. Wouldn't you want a DPV that you can lift and handle with one hand (on the ground)?

Yes! :D But I find it very rewarding to build this stuff and make it work and perform. It is not only about the scooter itself. How could it be rewarding NOT to struggle?? I think the word you are referring to is "convenient". In that case absolutely Yes :wink:

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-7_8-28-21.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-7_8-28-21.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 60
  • upload_2021-6-7_8-28-21.png
    upload_2021-6-7_8-28-21.png
    801.2 KB · Views: 60
  • upload_2021-6-7_8-30-8.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-7_8-30-8.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 70
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back