Uv 26 conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@treasurehunter yes, it should be available now if you contact @Jona Silverstein directly but the Smart DPV uses gears like the Dive Xtras and Seacraft controllers where you can shift up and down and the user can set the number of speeds and what they are. Big improvement over the fixed speeds from SS where you can only upshift.
No need for the sensors on a brushed motor

treasure hunter, do you have any pics of this transformation. I would love to see some photos of your progress.

Yes, @11hollywood I will soon be posting some pics and info on what I did.
So far I reduced the weight down to 60Lbs including ballast weight of about 8lbs. Usually with the 93 lbs uv-26 I would bring it close as possible to shore and then open the cone to connect power and final oring check before the dive.
Now I can schlep 52lbs to shore, and when ready, connect the power and just add the 8 lbs ballast weight.
The power and specs should be equivalent to a viper with a little more run time with a 42Ah battery. I'm assuming run time should be more or less equivalent to a UV-40 (Lithium polymer battery) spec.

@tbone1004, Want to thank you for recommending the smart-Dpv. I ordered and am waiting for it to arrive. This will bring this project to another level. Jona basically custom made it for me, so to leave me some room for experimenting with higher voltages in the future since it has a thermal protection sensor. And so does my smart BMS.

Yes, @11hollywood I will soon be posting some pics and info on what I did.
So far I reduced the weight down to 60Lbs including ballast weight of about 8lbs. Usually with the 93 lbs uv-26 I would bring it close as possible to shore and then open the cone to connect power and final oring check before the dive.
Now I can schlep 52lbs to shore, and when ready, connect the power and just add the 8 lbs ballast weight.
The power and specs should be equivalent to a viper with a little more run time with a 42Ah battery. I'm assuming run time should be more or less equivalent to a UV-40 (Lithium polymer battery) spec.

@tbone1004, Want to thank you for recommending the smart-Dpv. I ordered and am waiting for it to arrive. This will bring this project to another level. Jona basically custom made it for me, so to leave me some room for experimenting with higher voltages in the future since it has a thermal protection sensor. And so does my smart BMS.
It will be very interesting to see your scooter!! I would very much like to be corrected regarding the balancing of a shorter scooter :D

Some pictures of my frankenstein monster :poke:
Any criticism and questions are absolutely welcome!
20210506_084346.jpg
20210506_084238.jpg
20210506_084307.jpg
20210506_084546.jpg

Wouldn't it be ultimately more rewarding just buying a newer DPV that is lighter and has more features? As a prior UV26 owner, even in your case with a reduced weight, it is still too heavy. Wouldn't you want a DPV that you can lift and handle with one hand (on the ground)?

I did buy a magnus with Vorterx controller. My intention was to sell the UV-26. It had one bad battery so, I have to change both batteries at $ 700.00. I would have had to give it away for $1,300 Canadian at best with working batteries. At this point I figured if I have to give it away I might as well have some fun with a modification and have a back up DPV.

My Magnus is 55lbs, my modified Uv-26 without ballast weight is 52lbs and 60lbs with ballast. 5lbs wont break the bank for me. I have been schlepping 93 lbs for awhile, and the 60 lbs now feels light as a feather.
I went for a test dive and the power was impressive and had no problem at pitch 7. At pitch 9 I would surpass a black tip explorer at full speed before he triggers boost mode at max 7 mins. We dived for 1h 20 mins at full speed and I still had 68% battery left.

Just the batteries and all accessories to build I would say cost me about $800.00 (not including tools needed for battery building) and I made a 42ah, 29.4 volt battery which will run easy 2h full pitch.

My magnus is a beast in the water for sure, But diving the UV-26 modified by my own hands, I must say was pretty rewarding to me and I cant wait to push it to its limits to see what it can do.

Wouldn't it be ultimately more rewarding just buying a newer DPV that is lighter and has more features? As a prior UV26 owner, even in your case with a reduced weight, it is still too heavy. Wouldn't you want a DPV that you can lift and handle with one hand (on the ground)?

depends on how much cash you have and want to spend, especially since there is almost no resale value on these anymore.
$1500 gets you a new battery and programmable speed control vs $5k for a used comparable unit.

Nothing rides like these big heavy scooters though and while I have small powerful unit that I use for most of my diving, if I'm doing long cave penetrations, my UV26 comes with me.

Nothing rides like these big heavy scooters though and while I have small powerful unit that I use for most of my diving, if I'm doing long cave penetrations, my UV26 comes with me.

Exactly the situation for me. I dive mostly in the St. Laurence river and we go out pretty far out into the shipping channel in strong current. and getting back if scooter goes AWOL will be a struggle. I also like diving solo so having a backup will give me the chance to go further with out worries when solo. Even if you wanted to buy a used scooter these days they a few and far between.

Exactly the situation for me. I dive mostly in the St. Laurence river and we go out pretty far out into the shipping channel in strong current. and getting back if scooter goes AWOL will be a struggle. I also like diving solo so having a backup will give me the chance to go further with out worries when solo. Even if you wanted to buy a used scooter these days they a few and far between.

and for you right now, good luck getting it across the border since you can't.

Back
Top Bottom