Utila Liveaboard or Land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to decide between staying in Utila for a week or doing the Aggressor Liveaboard.

What are the best dive resorts and dive operators on the island. If you were choosing, would you choose land for a week or Aggressor for a week?

We've only done one Liveaboard in Australia and we loved it. We been diving in Roatan only, not Utila. We like small islands, which is how the land option became one of our choices.

Please share your experiences, I'd love to hear about Utila.

Thanks!

Can't speak to diving in Utila, but I have been on 2 Aggressor Boats and booked on a 3rd in August. IMO you get more for your money on Liveaboards. Usually 5 dives a day which includes a night dive every day versus the 2 tanks maybe 3 at a resort plus extra $75 to $90 for a night dive. On a liveaboard you set up gear one time versus every dive. On a liveaboard you have your own station, a fresh water tank for cameras, meals are included with snacks after every dive. I have added it up an unless you stay at a real low budget shore establishment you get more for your money on a liveaboard.

kdl, in general the costs for all inclusive dive operations in the bay islands is so cheap, and the dive sites are so close, that going for a liveaboard there is considered a waste. There are several land operations where you will get 3 dives a day plus unlimited shore diving... For much much less...

Personally, I think liveaboards are cool. But I'd do one in an area where it is worth it (difficult to reach areas).

Just my 0.02$

Sorry but I don't agree with land based versus the Aggressor. The land based operators for the most part have relatively new DM's (one the the largest training areas in the world) that can't find nearly as much. I lived on Utila for 4 months diving at least twice a day. I went on the Aggressor immediately after living there. I loved it and visited many more dive sites and saw more critters the DM's were able to find. Much better experience. Yes, its more expensive but the food is better, you dive more, get to more locations and see more things. What's not to like.
I've also been on 7 other liveaboards including twice on the old Bay Islands Aggressor. If you've got the money, go for the liveaboard. If not, Utila is cheap and lots of fun. Either way you'll have a blast.

I go back and forth on this one. The advantage of the Aggressor in Utila is that you are going to get to dive all of the islands (Roatan, Utila and the Cochinos). I haven't heard that they are diving Guanaja, but they might be. If you have just a week and what you want to do is dive dive dive, I can't imagine that you would choose much else. Even the other inclusive resorts don't do more than 3 boat dives in a day, but Laguna Beach, Utopia, and Deep Blue do have shore diving (which are actually pretty good). The dive shops on land are budget, but many are good. That said, you are going to be setting up and tearing down and hauling your gear everywhere you go. Most don't mind, but some do after a week. BUT the dive shops are so stunningly cheap it may be worth going that route to you. When we were on our way back from Utila, we ran into a group who had been on the Aggressor and all of them gave rave reviews. I'd do the Aggressor, but on Utila, I get to dive from my own boat. :D Utilatown itself is also alot of fun and for some, worth being on land rather than the Aggressor. I think its primarily a personal preference/desire decision if money isn't the issue.

I agree with codman. Stay on land unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Does anyone around here notice the world is falling apart? This just might be the time to stash a few bucks away rather than pump up the Mastercard bill.

I am on Roatan right now. Went diving this AM at the el Aguilar. As we left the Agressor pulled up and did the same dive, only I did it for $30. Next we went over to Grape Escape, just off the Seagrape resort and saw an Eagle Ray. My lunch cost $1 and breakfast was free, courtesy of Coconut Tree Divers.

Sorry, I am not a type A diver.

I lived on Utila for two years and worked on the Utila Aggressor as well as at a dive shop, Utila Watersports and a resort, Laguna Beach Resort. Like others have said, it really comes down to if money is an issue.
On the Aggressor you do get more for your money. 5 dives a day (including night dives every night), meals, snacks, beer & wine and the crew spoils you rotten! You'll get to dive on Utila, Roatan, and Coco's Seamount (which land based don't do). The DM's tend to be better than a dive shops DM, but not necessarily a resorts. On Friday night (the last night) you get to have dinner in town and during the day you can walk around and experience the town.
I now sell for Laguna Beach Resort and if money is an issue, than this is still a great way to go. Here you get 3 boat dives a day, 2 night boat dives a week and unlimited shore diving. The DMs are the resort are great and good at finding creatures. You also get unlimited horseback riding, kayaking & biking in your package which is nice if you want a break from diving. Meals are included as well so only extras are drinks.
If you have any questions about either of them, let me know.

Thank you all for your feedback. I have come to the conclusion that if you can get to the same sites for the most part, it's worth saving the extra $$$ and do land. I'll save the liveaboard for somewhere I can't get to through land-based operation. I'm good with 3 dives a day and I'm okay with diving only Utila this trip.

Now that I've decided on land, I'm looking for a deal at either Deep Blue or Laguna Beach Resort. Utila Dive Ventures, I will contact you offline for any specials.

Thanks everyone, I'm really looking forward to diving Utila!

Laguna beach is closer to the town, if you want to go in, it is a boat ride to a bike ride, or walk. I think DB is remote from utila. My wife and I loved LB. Great dive boats too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom