UTD's New Sidemount Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With that rig unintentional freediving seems a likely outcome.
Sidemount: two completely separate and redundant systems.

UTD sidemount: a single system removing redundancy and adding considerable complexity.

A few weeks ago I jumped into a lake to test my shiny new drysuit. Have to dive sidemount as them's the rules of the lake (no solo CCR). Whilst diving, the backup reg with absolutely no forewarning or 'tickling' suddenly and violently freeflowed.

It's sidemount; there's the completely redundant other side which I was breathing from. Eventually did the shutdown after trying to stem the flow and saved some gas, but blew off 150 bar/2200 psi from the LH cylinder.

That UTD system would drain both cylinders unless you immediately and unthinkingly shut down the manifold. Not to mention having to bugger about turning knobs behind your head.

Sidemount: two completely separate and redundant systems.

UTD sidemount: a single system removing redundancy and adding considerable complexity.

A few weeks ago I jumped into a lake to test my shiny new drysuit. Have to dive sidemount as them's the rules of the lake (no solo CCR). Whilst diving, the backup reg with absolutely no forewarning or 'tickling' suddenly and violently freeflowed.

It's sidemount; there's the completely redundant other side which I was breathing from. Eventually did the shutdown after trying to stem the flow and saved some gas, but blew off 150 bar/2200 psi from the LH cylinder.

That UTD system would drain both cylinders unless you immediately and unthinkingly shut down the manifold. Not to mention having to bugger about turning knobs behind your head.

It actually wouldn’t because when they“switch regs” they are actually just closing a tank valve and they always breath off the long hose.

I think they do that because the mixing manifold will always pull gas from the first stage with the lowest IP cracking pressure so you’d end with grossly unbalanced tanks if you didn’t do this…another reason the system is unnecessarily complex.

You're so right! Amish would dive sidemount! Maybe freedive!
You should see their horse-team driven compressors and hand-stiched leather hoses! :wink: :rofl3:

Actually, they use a surprising amount of modern technology, but with seemingly arbitrary, hard and fast guardrails.

It is a good dose of cognitive-dissonance seeing them use a multi-$100K piece of farm machinery that the elders have dictated must run only on all steel wheels (metal "tyres"). The next farm over may still be using only horse-powered implements.

In my experience, also some very nice people in general.

UTD -- diving's answer to the Amish. Thanks to the OP for the early morning laugh :)
I think you mean that sect of Judaism that takes not working on the Sabbath so serious they invent machines to flick light switches and start stoves for them.

Don't even Get me started on some of their deco "beliefs".
Please do elaborate.

Whilst we’re there, what’s all this must do ratio deco all about? Do they still dive with bottom timers rather than the accurate, reliable and consistent dive computers the rest of the world uses? Why?

No doubt this questioning will be dismissed as you have to be a true believer and disciple, committing to their teachings to truly understand their system — just like countless other cults past and present.

for example I think regularly swapping 2nd stages is an advantage, not a disadvantage, of side mount.
I assume when you say "advantage," you mean an advantage compared with back mount, so I understand correctly? Why do you see it as an advantage?

Regarding the original message - well, let's say that I would not like the idea of diving with that configuration; useless to spot the major negative points; you already did it.

I assume when you say "advantage," you mean an advantage compared with back mount, so I understand correctly? Why do you see it as an advantage?
Advantage compared to systems where the two second stages are not both actively used on a periodic basis.

By regularly switching, you are actively verifying your alternate air source on that same periodic basis.

Advantage compared to systems where the two second stages are not both actively used on a periodic basis.

By regularly switching, you are actively verifying your alternate air source on that same periodic basis.
The easy solution is not going side-mount but just testing the other reg every once in a while (I do that). But I get your point, some lazy people don't do that. Thanks for answering :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom