UTD's New Sidemount Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lip service... just because you claim something is DIR, doesn't make it so. I've never seen a UTD class, so I cannot comment on their teaching acumen, but I've seen this sidemount manifold evolve over the years and am still quite taken aback at how non-DIR it is.

Given the priorities he had, that is a good design. But his priorities are all wrong, so the result is an abortion.

for example I think regularly swapping 2nd stages is an advantage, not a disadvantage, of side mount.

I think it looks cool, wow so many things to play with …

I don’t side mount but even I was left wondering what the problem (perceived) that this is a solution to.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
I think it looks cool, wow so many things to play with …

I don’t side mount but even I was left wondering what the problem (perceived) that this is a solution to.
His apparent priorities:
  • must have cross-connect
  • long hose 2nd must be for alternate only
  • short hose 2nd must be primary only
  • BC inflate must come over left shoulder
  • dry-suit inflate must come under left arm
Normal DIR priorities come after those.

His apparent priorities:
  • must have cross-connect
  • long hose 2nd must be for alternate only
  • short hose 2nd must be primary only
  • BC inflate must come over left shoulder
  • dry-suit inflate must come under left arm
Normal DIR priorities come after those.
Seems even more strange when he starts this whole demonstration off with "platforms are tools with specific purposes"... then proceeds to put his inflator hose and his isolator (too many o-rings, but that's another story) right where they will be scraped and abraised when traditionally using sidemount.

So mixed teams ... so OC can never dive with CC by that logic.

I used to think that the only application of the UTD sidemount system was solo diving photographers who didn't want to let go of their camera. I realize that is wrong due to the failure points. There are too many failure points where the diver can lose all available gas.

Just switch the dαmn regs from time to time. It isn't rocket science.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom