UTD Tech 1 Vancouver, B.C. June 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vancouverdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Tech 1 Journey

It has been a long journey, but I am pleased to report that the 3 of us satisfactorily completed the final assessment dive for Tech 1. So tomorrow we look forward to our deco graduation dive with a max depth of 130 on 25/25 and using O2 for deco.

The UTD Tech 1 course ran from April 27 to June 6, 2009. I entered the course recognizing that I was going to experience a significant learning curve as I had great difficulty in reaching my valves, had just switched to doubles, and had no experience with deco bottles. Being a sucker for punishment I decided to proceed with the course and take it with my dive buddy Mike Barass. I would simply work hard, do my best and learn as much as I could. Gary Friesen and Mike Barton also joined us to round out the class at 4.

The class sessions were routine, but admittedly, sometimes a lot of information was downloaded to us. We had some difficulty in grasping some concepts, but a very patient Todd Powell rectified that. We were starting to get tired of those subway dinners. Our first water session was in the pool. While we were wearing our dry suits, I did not wear the bulky undergarments and to my pleasant surprise, I could reach all the valves! There was hope for me yet! Further subsequent tinkering with the harness, undergarments, and greasing the valves really helped. We did some basic skills and did a scenario, which involved one diver with a failed post, one diver out of air and two divers with no masks. At least we had an smb. Despite the fact that we were in confined warm water with unlimited visibility, we did not anticipate the compound failures, and needless to say we made mistakes and some of our dive buddies died. That was a taste of what was to come.

Through the month of May we did another 5 water sessions at Whytecliff with a lot of practice sessions in between. The differentiator in this course is the focus on developing the thinking diver through numerous scenarios with multiple failures. There was less emphasis on protocol, and more emphasis on what makes sense in priority order to resolve the failure. The analogy of a diver as a cockroach emphasizes the actions to survive vs. necessarily wasting time following certain protocol. The trick was to develop judgment to decide what was a waste of time, and what needed to get done to avoid descending further into an incident pit where the situation becomes fatal.

Throughout the scenarios we experience five fingered white rubber gloves descending from above and behind taking our masks off. After we successfully put on our back up masks we barely had time to congratulate ourselves before we lost the backup masks too! We had left post failures, right post failures, manifold failures, out of air, line entanglement, failed dive computers, failed lights, and silt outs courtesy of a zealous application from ToddÃÔ stage bottle. Initially it was rather unnerving to hear a roar of bubbles streaming from your manifold at your ear. Each independent failure is only an inconvenience, but compounding failures often stressed the team such that the correct decisions were not always made. Yes, mistakes were made but we learnt from them. We also learnt to dive as a team, and our communication skills, positioning and problem resolution continued to improve. By no means have we finished our learnings. However, we have learnt to deal with the failures as mere inconveniences that turn the dive. Still, the course has highlighted the need for continuous learning and regular post assessment of dives so that one can learn from each dive to become a better diver and a better dive buddy.

To assist in the learning, we de-briefed and watched the video with many laughs and expressions of horror. When sitting on a sofa analyzing the scenario we have visual clarity of the various scenarios. We could kick ourselves for some of our Brain farts?

I learnt a lot about myself as the course highlighted my strengths and embarrassingly accentuated my weaknesses. I thought my biggest hurdle was reaching the valves, but that was only the beginning. I quickly recognized I needed to quickly improve on communication, assertiveness, awareness, positioning, buoyancy & trim, and problem resolution. Gee, did I leave anything out? I can't emphasize enough - continuous learning. I'm pleased to say, that in my opinion, I'm a better diver today, than I was a month ago.

I have to say this was an invaluable course conducted by Todd Powell. While we demonstrated a propensity to kill each other, Todd demonstrated an enormous capacity for patience. He gave us an incredible amount of time to see us through the course and that would not have been possible if he had a different disposition or was on a restricted schedule. It was obvious that he was silently cheering for us, doing his best to make it an enjoyable learning experience, and hoping things would click and we would progress. The other amazing thing is that no matter how bad a scenario was conducted, he would search for something, anything positive to say. i.e. "You did a good and thorough buddy check in the parking lot!" "You descended as a team" Or even if you lose buoyancy and you are fighting to hold your stop he would say "You are a survivor, can't fault you on that" Of course he also pointed out learning moments, and as you can gather there were many. On occasion we did manage to leave Todd speechless. All Todd could muster was "wow, what did you think of that dive?"

My only regret is that our fourth classmate did not finish before he had to go out of town for work. He will complete the course upon his return.

It was an experiential course that I highly recommend. Many thanks to Todd for his instruction, Blair & Kathryn for videoing, and special thanks for the support of my classmates. Without their support I would not have a shoulder to cry on and could not have completed the journey.
Best wishes for safe diving. Look out for blowfish and five fingered white gloves: they are the only things one needs to worry about. Everything else is just an inconvenience!
☺

Last edited:
I am one of the other ghosts from the class and I think Alan (vancouverdiver) did a good job descibing the course.

To add to it though I do have to ask you the other instructors out there a question. How do you install confidence in your students about your abilities to teach the course to your students? Here is Todd's, our instructor's method. " Hi, my name is Todd and I am your instructor for this course and I am going to kill you many times over before the end of this course? And then to add insult to injury, Todd had his own personal cheerleading squad (Catherine) sitting off to the side cheering him on, "Go Todd Go" with a big grin on her face because she knew what was coming. At this point I am thinking to myself, what did I just get myself into and where is the exit? As you can figure out, I ended up staying in the course, ... or maybe it was because Todd had locked the door preventing my escape. I will let you readers decide.

Todd went on to explain how we would be doing diving scenarios and that he would be testing our skills, situational awareness and thinking in regards to how we deal with problems. Various thoughts went through my head, such as, would I be able to handle what Todd had to dish out? While I will admit that I was a bit scared of failing this course I was looking forward to the torture sessions because unless I am challenged and put to the test, I will not improve or know where I need to improve.

In reality Todd did not need to kill me or anyone in the class, we killed ourselves with self-inflicted death or suicide. Todd just sat back and enjoyed the show. He even rang the gong. (The video of this should be out soon).

I thank Todd very much for what he put us through because as Alan said, I am a better diver than I was a month ago. Do I still have more to learn, absolutely, I have at least started off in the right direction and also have a good team to continue my learning with.

I don't know where to start in terms of what I have learnt in this course. I also learnt more than I expected, not just about diving but about myself. Some of the main things were to think, take my time, that everything is just an inconvienience and that there is no need to panic. Calmly deal with it and if is fixable continue the dive and if not, turn it. I learnt in my open water class to stop, breathe, think then act, well, it has not changed. It has only been re-inforced.

I want to thank the other guys in the class as it was a combination of our combined failures and our successes that has made me who I am today as a diver. I learnt how to put my trust in another diver. I am quite independant and to have to rely on others was a challange for me.

I also learnt how evil the reel is and how it makes you do weird things, but I won't go there. Then again I will because it was also a learning curve for me as to how easy it was to have a brain fart. I look back and ask myself, why did I do that? The good thing about it is that it allowed me to put myself into my teammates shoes (fins) and understand how or why they did what they did when things had not gone right. Sometimes the brain just does not work properly when over tasked. Take this one for example, we are near the end of the scenario and all I have to do is bring up the rear reeling up the line as I go. For some reason my brain said ****** the real, and so, I did. I locked it down and left it there on the ground and just fed the line through my hand. Needless to say Todd's jaw was on the bottom of the ocean in shock . Thankfully I got back to the up-line before Todd could hog-tie me with it as I saw him coming at me with it (whew, saved by the up-line). So ya, the reel is evil and makes you do weird things. So when I am given a light, or two, during a OOA situation where we had been task loaded to the hilt, I fully understand :wink:.

A big thanks needs to got to Blair and Catherine for taking time out to come and video tape us. Also thanks to Gary for letting them use his camera. Thank you.

Can we delete those videos now?????? Pleassssssse. Whoever thought of video taping classes was smart. Even though they show all our faults it allowed for clear annalise afterwards. While chatting on the surface it was easy to point the finger at the obvious mistake(s) but then Todd would come along and point out all the other mistakes that were made during the review. He would gently put us on the spot and ask what were you doing there? Why did you not help out here? A lot of this stuff would have been missed without the video review and we would have been none the wiser. It has allowed me to take a step back and look at everything and not just the obvious.

All in all, despite all that happened, I thoroughly enjoyed the course and am looking forward to future courses with Todd.

Thank you Todd for putting up with us as well as enjoying all the good times that we had together.

Last edited:
I did my first official deco/tech dive the other day wiht Alan and man did it feel great. Down at 130' with a clear head diving 25/25 and having 100% for deco. I have dove 130' on air and nitrox before but this kicked some serious but. Helium is good drugs :D

The course that Alan and I took, the UTD tech 1, allowed us to go to 130' and into deco using helium and oxygen for deco using ratio deco for planning the dive profile. In a couple of months we will be taking the tech 2 which will take us deeper with the use of stages. So more training and fun while being tortured under the water.

If you ever get the chance to take a technical diving course, go for it. Whether you continue to do it or not, the training that you will recieve is invaluable in terms of making you a better diver.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom