UTD Quick Adjust System Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So for clarity, this is about the UTD Quick Adjust system UTD Online Store - +1 855 DIVEUTD (348-3883) or +1 760 585-9676 - [email]sales@utdequipment.com[/email] This is for BP/W systems to allow the shoulder straps to adjust for easier ingres/egress.

Overall I'm quite happy with the system. I have about 25 dives (warm water) on the setup now. I only have it installed on the right side strap (I wasn't willing to muck with the side that holds the "D" ring and buckle) and it almost performs as intended.

For those of you that haven't seen it up close, it installs on the side of your BP that faces your back, it threads through the BP towards the center line, a "D" ring is captive by a oversewn section and the balance goes through the other BP slot, goes around the side of the BP and ends in another "D" ring held in place with a tri-glide. The side that goes toward the center line has a "T" sewn into the webbing to (attempt to) hold it in place (see later comments) The webbing is quite flexible (both good and bad). Your shoulder strap goes through the "D" ring at the BP, and then goes through the "D" ring on the end of the UTD harness.

I'm using a metal buckle on the right hand side that I previously used to hold my can light in place to stop the shoulder strap from extending too far, and when I have things cinched up, to hold things in place until I get the waist strap buckled.

My only complaint is that the section that feeds back through the BP only has a "T" sewn into the webbing and it will pull out when things are loose (like when you take your rig off). I've had several email exchanges with UTD and they don't see a problem, I think a better solution would be to put a simple loop in the end that would allow me to insert a short piece of bungee through it to hold.

I've taken a spare tri-glide and was able to get the "T" pulled through it, so I think that end will never be a problem again.

Bottom line. You only need half of the supplied solution. Having the right shoulder adjustable, makes it really easy to get the left shoulder in (I haven't tried this with my drysuit, but I think I'll have no problem getting it over the deflater valve now).

Could I build a better mousetrap? Yes, if I had access to an industrial sewing machine. Is it worth the money? Convenience yes, $45 for $3.00 of webbing and a couple "D" rings? Probably not.

Any chance of posting some pics? I'm interested in maybe fitting it to my drysuit plate as getting out of harness is a pain as either dump valve catches or dry glove rings catch. Due to all the weight I'm carrying I can't wiggle out as easily as I can when diving wet. My advancing years have reduced mobility. Cheers.

NP

I'm coming off a dive vacation and straight into 4 days of business meetings :-(

By next weekend, for sure

If you go to the link provided and click images you can see some photos.

If you go to the link provided and click images you can see some photos.

Cheers, that occurred to me after I posted request. The photos on the website are a bit busy but I get the idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom