USS Tarpon SS-175 Underwater Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All:

This is an underwater video of what’s left of an American submarine about 40 miles south of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. Launched in 1935, the USS Tarpon (SS-175) is one of the last surviving examples of a WWII era Porpoise class diesel-electric boat considered the scourge of the Japanese Navy during the 1940s. In 1942 and 1943, the USS Tarpon sank both Japanese and German Navy ships while serving in the Pacific, earning 7 battle stars. Not wanting to end up in the scrap yard, she made her last dive off Cape Hatteras in 1957 after escaping from a tug’s tow line. Coming to rest on the 140 FT sandy bottom only a few miles from the German submarines U-85, U-701 and U-352, she now remains on “eternal patrol,” guarding the clear blue waters of the North Carolina coast, a much more fitting end for such a historic vessel.

ENJOY!

[vimeo]5419405[/vimeo]

Drewski,
A Video all Videographers can aspire to. Rock Steady, Great Editing, I like the historical Picts. you put in and the captions. This is a great video to watch before going to this wreck.

What boat did you guys use? Anybody go inside? I'd like to make the trip to this one myself.

Keep uo the good work and dive safe.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom