USS Spiegle Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HDrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As my son and I are planing a trip to South Florida this summer, I decided to surf the net for info on the date for the :boom:sinking of the Spiegle Grove:boom:. Today I ran across this info and thought I would post it here in case anyone is interested. If this is old news to everyone I appologize.

7 May 2002: NEWS FLASH! From the folks who know best: "The final US Coast Guard inspection of the Spiegel Grove was completed today (ed. 5/6/02), and the ship will be moved to Key Largo on Wednesday May 8. The move should take 3-4 days and there will be 3-5 days of work required to prepare the ship for sinking. Some things, such as cutting holes in bulkheads, cannot be done prior to the move, since the ship must still be seaworthy during transportation. I'm sorry that I can't give you an exact date of sinking, but it will most likely occur during the time period from Friday, May 17 - Monday, May 21."

8 May 2002: NEWS FLASH! The Spiegel Grove is leaving Norfolk today, Wednesday, 8 May for the final time. She is scheduled to be in Key Largo on 14 May. Most likely, she will be put down between 19-21 May. FROM SHIPMATE BILL CARROLL, former radio host in Key Largo: anyone from the Grove is welcome to attend the radio show next Thursday night (the 16th!) at Snapper's waterfront saloon and raw bar at milemarker 95 oceanside. As this show will be centered around the sinking we would be happy to interview people on the show. Showtime is 6:30 till 7:30! What a great opportunity shipmates! Kevin....

11 May 2002: NEWS FLASH! As of 9AM, yesterday morning, the Spiegel Grove was east of Wilmington, NC. Her projected arrival in Key Largo is Monday May 13th, or early monring of the 14th. The anticipated put doan date is 17 May but MAY change....

12 May 2002: NEWS FLASH! As of 8AM, Saturday morning, the Spiegel Grove was off Charleston, SC. Target dates to Key Largo are still legit... AND..as of noon TODAY, she was off Fernandina Beach, FL moving at roughly 6.8 knots. Due date to Key Largo is Tuesday, 14 May

If you would like to visit the site which I got this info you can justclick here.

Hope you find this info useful.

Tom

That is GREAT! I've been anxiously awaiting news about her upcoming sinking! Thanks for the heads up!
I will be in the Keys all summer, and I was excited about diving on a ship that had been so recently sunk, there was no growth on it. Woo-hoo for me!

Thanks for the update. I have been following the events of the Spiegel Grove as well.

Nostalgia will occur when I get the chance to dive her. The Spiegel Grove was one of the ships that was in the squadron I was attached to during my time in the Navy. I have had the opportunity to be on board her while above water and now will get a chance to visit her underwater.

Wow Socaldiver.... the emotions should be really strong when you dive her...I am sure that it will be more than strange to visit her underwater....

Keep us informed when you do it....

Manogr

Where will she end up at? I had heard Key West, but it seems as if she'll go down off Key Largo.

It is my understanding that it will be sunk off Key Largo in 130 fsw and rising to 40 fsw at the most upper part of the superstructure.

I also believe I read something this morning that it arrived in Key Largo this morning.

Manogr, yes I think it will be somewhat emotional but more along the lines of eeire (sp?), seeing something underwater that you visited above water. Fortunately/unfortunately, my ship, which was decomissioned at the end of 1969 and rusted away in the naval graveyard has been completely scrapped back in the 70's. The whole ordeal will definitely bring back some of the best, most memorable times in my life.

According to articles I read today, the sinking will take place this coming Friday. They will not allow spectators within 500 yards during the sinking.

After it goes down there will be a couple of days no diving will be permitted to let the "dust" settle. And then the "pros" from the area will dive to make sure it is safe and nothing came loose that could cause some unexpected trouble.

Well they tried, but it looks as though it could be atleast two weeks before divers get to venture the Speigel Grove. Just returned from the Key's this week and saw the upside down Speigel Grove with the hull 20 ft above the surface (NOT TOO GOOD!!).

In talking with some of the folks down there they are bringing in a salvage group to resurrect and attempt to complete the project. Some blame flooded decks but all the same it will be a while before the all clear is given.

Looks like an exciting dive but I won't be there again until November to check it out.

Hope some who visit early give us a good report.

waterdogs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom