USS Oriskany Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking forward to the flight-deck and superstructure :) I don't think I'll be into any deco-diving by then, but who knows :) 5 minutes zooming across the flight deck and then circle around the superstructure on the way up :) Should be fun :D

simbrooks:
But look at the boats they didnt get it right on, SG, Bibb and i think there might be another down in the lower keys, its not a given.
Don't have to go that far south Simon, the Sea Emperor and Hog heaven (both in the Fort Lauderdale area) were both botched sinkings and the barges ended up upside down.

We should all get together and charter a cattleboat for this when it does go down. We could all meet at jviehe's house :)

Scubaguy62:
I hope they get this one right...the Spiegel Grove was to sit upright after sinking, but we all know the screw up. If this one ends up on its side....well, I'm not doing tech training anytime soon...
I read that the rules were tightened because of the S.Grove accident - which added to the cost and time, of course.

They've pushed back the date again and again, as they do on these, but delaying it past June would put it into storm season. After last year's strikes, I think the overall feeling will be hardened a bit - seeing June as a deadline.

But watch them push it back to after the next hurricane season. :angry:

Scubaguy62:
I hope they get this one right...the Spiegel Grove was to sit upright after sinking, but we all know the screw up. If this one ends up on its side....well, I'm not doing tech training anytime soon...
I actually like the fact that it sits on it's side. If it sat upright, it wouldn't attract as many technical divers. Now it's great for shallow and deep dives.

When they sink the "Big O", on one day or another, you can be sure we'll all be saying either "OH BOY!" or "Oh, _ _ _ _! (You fill in the blanks)
Personally, I think they fill her double-bottom cavities with cement up to say, her normal waterline; to be sure she goes, and stays bottm down (or something like that).
In any case - whether she vertical or not - she'll still make for one heck of a dive!

DiveCop71:
When they sink the "Big O", on one day or another, you can be sure we'll all be saying either "OH BOY!" or "Oh, _ _ _ _! (You fill in the blanks)
"Oh, G I R L !" Ships are considered feminine after all.

-Rob

Scubaguy62:
Don't have to go that far south Simon, the Sea Emperor and Hog heaven (both in the Fort Lauderdale area) were both botched sinkings and the barges ended up upside down.

I just got back from a dive trip to Boca, and if it is the same sea emperor (With a pile of concrete culverts next to it, 100 yards or so from a cargo ship) it is one of the best dives I have ever been on. Incredible diversity of life, easy penetration, and very safe descent/ascent.

Upside down or Not, if it holds life, it is succesful in my book!

rab:
"Oh, G I R L !" Ships are considered feminine after all.

-Rob

That wasn't quite the word I had in mind. I was thinking more the kind that start in "S" and end in "T", but you're still sorta right - I mean the two are kind of related, Hee, Hee... :argue:

Any word on how long after it is sunk before it will be diveable? I heard they expect up to 8 hours to sink it but I'm sure they will want to make sure it is settled before they leave the site to allow divers in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom