USS Oriskany Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s - yeah, the main gangway was big enough for the cars. Some of the staff stayed aboard the USS AL, it was probably one of the safer places to be. I'm guessing they craned the vehicles off afterwards.

PerroneFord:
You planning on doing that dive on air?

Yep, 5 min at 130' and level off higher and check out the superstructure for a bit, then up to the top of the superstructure a bit, then safety stop at 30 & 15'. My bottom time will be limited quite a bit at this point, but still a fantastic dive, I'm sure. Repetitive dives can be made at shallower depths on the superstructure, which is large enough on its own to keep you occupied for more than a days worth of diving I'll bet.

I already have several dives at these depths(I won't be passing the flight deck), often times with a nice big speargun in tow :wink: Eventually, I'd like to get into tech diving for the increased bottom time, but for now, 130' with recreational Nitrox NDL limits will have to keep me happy!

SuPrBuGmAn:
mike_s - yeah, the main gangway was big enough for the cars. Some of the staff stayed aboard the USS AL, it was probably one of the safer places to be. I'm guessing they craned the vehicles off afterwards.

I know they pumped sand in around it to stablize it... on the outside
of the hull... but....

I've heard rumor the bottom decks of the ship were pumped with sand...
you heard that? This was in order to make it sit on the bottom, protect
it from hurricanes (stability), and also to make it harder to pull it back
into active duty service.

you ever heard anything about this on the Alabama?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yep, 5 min at 130' and level off higher and check out the superstructure for a bit, then up to the top of the superstructure a bit, then safety stop at 30 & 15'. My bottom time will be limited quite a bit at this point, but still a fantastic dive, I'm sure. Repetitive dives can be made at shallower depths on the superstructure, which is large enough on its own to keep you occupied for more than a days worth of diving I'll bet.

I already have several dives at these depths(I won't be passing the flight deck), often times with a nice big speargun in tow :wink: Eventually, I'd like to get into tech diving for the increased bottom time, but for now, 130' with recreational Nitrox NDL limits will have to keep me happy!

I hope by the time it sinks, I will be ready to join you for those dives. Let's make some plans to do some 75-100ft dives in the interim. I'm a bit sharper than when you saw me last. Not like that would be hard! I had been off for 11 years!

Thats a hard number to reach on the cheap, less you wanna dive Morrison and some AL quarries a bit - lol!

mike_s: I heard they pumped cement into the hull, which was degrading pretty quickly anyway. They just finished a big hull restoration to patch rust holes within the last couple of years anyway :)

Matt, that's fine. My doubles should be ready to go in the next 4-6 weeks, so I'll feel a little better about venturing down near 100. Doing it on a single tank just didn't feel that good to me. Even my class dives to 100 I did with doubles.

I got two free weekends in January, and then things are going to get dicey.

Lemme know when, more notice the better. Most of my friends are complaining about cold weather and such... hard to get em in the water. Not sure whats wrong with them...

Several of us are heading down to Vortex next Friday (30th) just to do some fun dives. I had a little surgery last month and it'll be my first opportunity to get my gills wet in over four weeks. Don't know if we'll go over to Morrison or not - but we should be at Vortex around 0830 or so.
Rick :)

Rick, I may make it. I'll be in Ft Lauderdale next week, but not sure if Im coming home the 29th or the 30th. If I come on the 29th, I'll drive over to Vortex.

Matt, I'll let you know with as much notice as possible. Right now, I am open the weekend of the 7th and 8th if you want to try to get something done. I'm not worried about the cold. Lets dive.

Rick Murchison:
Several of us are heading down to Vortex next Friday (30th) just to do some fun dives. I had a little surgery last month and it'll be my first opportunity to get my gills wet in over four weeks. Don't know if we'll go over to Morrison or not - but we should be at Vortex around 0830 or so.
Rick :)
Gulf-Gulper and I are trying to get to the New Years Eve midnight dive at Vortex (local dive club activity). Are you going to still be there? I've got to work Saturday until 6:30 pm and have to be back at work at 6:00 am Sunday so this will be a quick dip in the pond and back to the house for me, GG will be headed back from a trip with his family so he might not get to go. Hope you'll be there and awake :D.

PerroneFord:
Matt, I'll let you know with as much notice as possible. Right now, I am open the weekend of the 7th and 8th if you want to try to get something done. I'm not worried about the cold. Lets dive.

I'm down for some spring action, cold or not on the 7th or 8th. Pick a date and pen it in :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom