USS Hogan (DD-178 / DMS-6) Photogrammetry Model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As promised, below is a link to a detailed post with a complete photogrammetry model of the USS Hogan. The model on Sketchfab is "live" so you can rotate it, zoom in, etc.

The post covers a lot of details of the wreck site and has sections with photos and model screenshots for some of the major areas of the wreck (stern, prop guards, mess area, boilers, prop shaft, etc).

Quite honestly, it is probably one of the better models I have built and probably one of the best posts in terms of depth, detail, etc.

It is my 200th post to the blog as well.

As a teaser, here is a screen capture of the model that shows the awesome strawberry anemones on the stern of the wreck:

sb-cover.png

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,

- brett

I have only dove it once. I found this an interesting piece of manufacturing. I believe it is either superheat or a pre-heater. I need to make it back out there again soon.
View attachment 755091

Interesting. Where in the debris field was that? I wonder if I have some other pictures of that.

- brett

G0093615.JPG

Does this help any?

I've only been there once, 3 years ago. Had the gopro set for a still every 10 seconds or so. Don't know the debris field good enough.

The value of the composite image you mention -- the orthomosaic -- is also what reef researchers gravitate to. It seems crazy to build a cool 3-D model and then grind it back down to 2-D but that is the output that is used most heavily in my experience.
Great model!

I have only dove it once. I found this an interesting piece of manufacturing. I believe it is either superheat or a pre-heater. I need to make it back out there again soon.
View attachment 755091
I think that may be a liquid - liquid heat exchanger. The coils are awfully tight though and I'm having a hard time making a lot of sense of it.

I think that may be a liquid - liquid heat exchanger. The coils are awfully tight though and I'm having a hard time making a lot of sense of it.
Completely agree it is a heat exchanger. I find it amazing that they could coil tubing that tightly, and do it nearly 100 years ago.

What kind of heat exchanger, I was only guessing. Given the size, it was for a lot of heat or get the very last bit of usable heat.

The thing is, with the coils that tight you lose surface area and hence efficiency. That many coils sticking out is also going to create a lot of resistance to flow. Best guess is something like a fuel pre-heater. I'm trying to figure out where that design would be a good idea and failing.

On the other hand, she is a Wickes class four stacker built in 1918 with a steam turbine engine. That technology was barely 20 years old at the time and they may not have figured out that this was a bad idea, or at least a sub optimal design.

Long winded way of saying 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I definitely recognize that. It is off to the side from the boilers and in between them and the prop shaft, etc.

Here are two screenshots of where in the debris field it sits and one of the photos I took of it in natural light. I noticed it as well and took a few photos specifically of it.

It is the general area of the galley as well and there is a "Vegetable Locker" on the blueprints so I'm wondering if maybe it was for a refrigeration unit?

- brett

Exchanger2.png
HeatExchanger.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 5.30.04 PM.png

Regards,

- brett

Could this be the internal workings of a marine evaporator (distilling apparatus) used to produce fresh water for the boiler (as well as for drinking)?

The boilers for the steam engines required a continual supply of distilled water. This was largely supplied by recycling the steam in the condensers, but a small amount of additional feedwater was always required to make up for losses.

Hence the introduction of the onboard evaporator (usually two per ship after 1884) that would turn seawater into boiler feedwater and drinking water.

The usual design of the era seems to be about that size and cylindrical in shape. The blue prints (from Brett's website) also show a notation of "evaporators" with arrows pointing just aft of the port side condenser. There might be one in that location just on the edge of the photogrammetry model? The one pictured above could have been relocated by the sinking...or perhaps it has been migrating/rolling in the sand for the last 77 years.

Back
Top Bottom