USS Moray (SS-300) Photogrammetry Model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I mentioned in my Trip Report post about the USS Moray, I've also completed a photogrammetry model of the sub. Below is a link to the blog post with all the details and screenshots and then also a link to the online model. Due to limitations of mobile devices, I've posted a low-res version and a higher-res version for desktops. In the post, I also describe how the model has potentially allowed us to find a second torpedo hole.

The model consists of 4,000 photos.

Link to the blog post:

Low res model (mobile devices) : USS Moray (Mobile version) - 3D model by Brett Eldridge (@beldridg)

Higher res model (desktop) : USS Moray (Higer Res version) - 3D model by Brett Eldridge (@beldridg)

Here is a screenshot of the model from the top down.

moray-model-length.png

Regards,

- brett

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see a depth posted.
190, Trip Report : USS Moray Submarine (San Clemente Island — 190 fsw)

As I mentioned in my Trip Report post about the USS Moray, I've also completed a photogrammetry model of the sub. Below is a link to the blog post with all the details and screenshots and then also a link to the online model. Due to limitations of mobile devices, I've posted a low-res version and a higher-res version for desktops. In the post, I also describe how the model has potentially allowed us to find a second torpedo hole.

The model consists of 4,000 photos.

Link to the blog post:

Low res model (mobile devices) : USS Moray (Mobile version) - 3D model by Brett Eldridge (@beldridg)

Higher res model (desktop) : USS Moray (Higer Res version) - 3D model by Brett Eldridge (@beldridg)

Here is a screenshot of the model from the top down.

View attachment 793209

Regards,

- brett
Color me super jealous. I keep hearing rumors the navy is either leaving or toning down operations on the island, but I doubt it. If they do, maybe more people eventually can visit. But guess that's a double edged sword, since more divers will mean the wreck will deteriorate faster in all likelihood.

I went through all 4,000 photos and masked off any diver so they wouldn’t be used in alignment.

Those of us that have used photoshop are shaking our heads in amazement. It's an incredibly detailed model that alot of divers will use in the future to explore key parts of the wreck. Congrats on a solid piece of artwork !!

I went through all 4,000 photos and masked off any diver so they wouldn’t be used in alignment.

Those of us that have used photoshop are shaking our heads in amazement. It's an incredibly detailed model that alot of divers will use in the future to explore key parts of the wreck. Congrats on a solid piece of artwork !!

Thanks for the feedback! Labor of love.

Masking off divers from being used for alignment is a relatively easy process in Metashape. Luckily, I avoided them in almost all the photos. I think there were probably about 50-100 photos that required some masking.

Regards,

- brett

Cool -- would you be able to provide some details on the equipments you used?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom