Using UK Cylinders in the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I only have the one, mebbe I can find someone who'd do the destructive test for me so I can video it. If there's a decent piece of the neck left I'll have 'em stamp that if it met at least the test criteria.

Hmmmm... Adam? Jamie? Myhtbuster wanna makea Tank go Big Boom? :eyebrow::D

Many thanks to everyone to replied. The general consensus seems to be 'don't take them'. Mark Gresham from PSI also emailed me with the regulations behind all your advice.

It'll break my heart, but it looks like I'll have to leave them behind and get half a dozen new ones on arrival.

Cheers again,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Out of curiosity, what size and pressure tanks do you usually dive with?

Hi Jim,

Out of curiosity, what size and pressure tanks do you usually dive with?

Two steel 12 litre x 232 bar on the back and either one or two aluminium seven litre x 207 bar on the side, the whole lot supplemented with an aluminium eleven litre 207 bar when required. Problem is I've got another two twins sets, some singles and two 'ponies' to get rid of as well!

Hi Jim,

12L at 232 bar is about 95 CF at 3443psi. The Worthington Steel X7-100 would be a close substitute. 100 CF at 3442psi, 7.25" diameter and 24 inches long.

7L at 207 bar is 48 CF at 3000psi. I am guessing that your 7L tanks are about 6" in diameter. The closest aluminum tank in the US with that capacity would be an aluminum 50 but it would be 6.9" in diameter and only 19" long, probably noticably shorter and fatter than what you are used to. Another choice might be aluminum 40s at 5.25" in diameter and 24.5" long. More expensive would be OMS steel 45 CF tanks at 5.5" diameter and cheaper would be old used steel "72"s at 6.9" diameter.

Of course, if you want to just carry all of your air on your back, I would make a set of close spaced triples using the Diverite close spaced manifold SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - 200 Bar 5.5" Tank Manifold set for minimum center to center spacing to connect 2 - 3442 PSI 80 or 100 cubic foot tanks togeather and add a third independant 80 or 100 with custom bands.

Most of the time, twin tanks in the US are spaced farther apart than they are in Europe. The double tank boots that hold tanks almost touching each other aren't even sold here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom