Using the Nomad Ring Bungees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carrielsal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Whatever you do, don't get your sidemount instructor to help!

(sorry, i had to "poke the bear" a little, don't kill me Carrie :D )

Whatever you do, don't get your sidemount instructor to help!

(sorry, i had to "poke the bear" a little, don't kill me Carrie :D )

haha...you know my tech instructor is backmount.

I want to dive the nomad for a while before even thinking about taking a class. It will give me the opportunity to figure out what works for me and what doesn't and what questions I might really have. I'll be taking it from a swim tomorrow.

Where? Janet and I are doing the Comal in the am, Aquarena (if Pearl approves) around 2 :)

I attended a recent sidemount clinic where Lamar Hires demonstrated the ring bungees. I tried them and like them in terms of carrying the tanks on the harness out of the water.

They are a bit different in that you may need to orient the tank slightly differently than you would with a bungee just looped over the valve knob. They are intended to have the bolt snap aligned with the back of the valve (opposite the DIN connection) and in that orientation, it is fairly easy to connect the ring to the bolt snap.

Personally, I like to have the valve knob angled down a bit more and in that orientation, you have a bit less space available to connect the ring to the snap.

In either case, you do need a bold snap and the business end needs to be under the choker. I use a hose clamp about 2/3rds of the way down the tank (lower profile than a cam band) and use a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" rope to secure the snap. Just loop it over the valve like you would when hog rigging a stage bottle, taking care to secure the loop of the bolt snap at the right distance from the valve. On the bottom end of the rope, just add an overhand knot so that it rides under the lower camb band (or hose clamp).

I can post a picture if you want.

I attended a recent sidemount clinic where Lamar Hires demonstrated the ring bungees. I tried them and like them in terms of carrying the tanks on the harness out of the water.

They are a bit different in that you may need to orient the tank slightly differently than you would with a bungee just looped over the valve knob. They are intended to have the bolt snap aligned with the back of the valve (opposite the DIN connection) and in that orientation, it is fairly easy to connect the ring to the bolt snap.

Personally, I like to have the valve knob angled down a bit more and in that orientation, you have a bit less space available to connect the ring to the snap.

In either case, you do need a bold snap and the business end needs to be under the choker. I use a hose clamp about 2/3rds of the way down the tank (lower profile than a cam band) and use a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" rope to secure the snap. Just loop it over the valve like you would when hog rigging a stage bottle, taking care to secure the loop of the bolt snap at the right distance from the valve. On the bottom end of the rope, just add an overhand knot so that it rides under the lower camb band (or hose clamp).

I can post a picture if you want.

A picture would be great! I bought cam bands for the lower snap bolt instead of a hose clamp. I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach the snap bolt to the top of the bottle if I'm not using a stage handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom