Using normal razor blades as replacement in line cutter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
SunkenHead

SunkenHead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello.
I'm looking to buy my first line cutter. I'm going with z-shaped, either the diverite, or the eezycut.
I live in Mexico, so replacement blades are not that accesible (I'm actually getting someone to bring me the tool from the states) so a good idea (or at least I think it is) would be to replace the blades with normal barber razor blades. Has anyone done that with either one of the two line cutters?

I also don't have an easy way of getting replacement blades, so I went to another solution.
I got a ceramic seasword cutter and ordered a set of replacement blades. So far, it's still super sharp, and no chips or aything. And Just in case I have a spare blate if the ceramic ever dulls.

Hello.
I'm looking to buy my first line cutter. I'm going with z-shaped, either the diverite, or the eezycut.
I live in Mexico, so replacement blades are not that accesible (I'm actually getting someone to bring me the tool from the states) so a good idea (or at least I think it is) would be to replace the blades with normal barber razor blades. Has anyone done that with either one of the two line cutters?
The Eezycut Trilobite uses proprietary blades, and comes with 2 extra blades. For me, they have been pretty rust resistant for a couple of years now -- YMMV. I believe the Diverite with metal blade also uses proprietary blades.

There is a Diverite with a ceramic blade, which they say never dulls or corrodes. There is also the DGX Sharp Cut with ceramic blades, which I've also had for a couple of years and still quite sharp -- and does also come with replacement blades in case you need them. The Sharp Cut is also the cheapest of all of these at $17.95 on Dive Gear Express.

Hello.

Dive Rite actually has a MX location if that helps you any. So replacement blades might be easier to get for the DR one.

hand-line-cutter--titanium.jpg

I have this fancy letter opener on my waistband as an extra cutting tool , always carry 2 [or more, depends on the dive].
Does not rust and has stayed sharp enough to do the job, which is fishing line here, braid is the new 'norm' and the right tool is required.
Expensive for what it is, but.....!

I'm pretty sure regular barber-type razor blades will rust pretty quickly and badly. I know that living in salt air environments alone have caused my razors to rust if left out in the shower, etc. I'd go with one of the suggestions others have listed. Good luck, my friend! :)

Thanks for your responses! I think I'll bet on the DGX ceramic one, as it seems the same as the dive rite one, but with four times the blades (Thanks @Rob9876 for the tip)
This one was my first choice, but after seeing lots of youtube propaganda I decided not to go with it. Seems like it has it's trick when cutting, and a line cutter, in my opinion, must be fool proof. Of course, @rhwestfall , feel free to try to convince me otherwise.

@DiveProKoko yes, probably even the "stainless" razor blades would rust, sooner or later, but the ease and accessibility of barber razor blades, in my opinion surpasses all rust inconvenience. The propietary blades are like the iphone cables. Probably will last some good time, but sheesh, have you seen the price on the trilobite 440 stainless steel blades? 7 dollars for two blades! when those 7 dollars could probably get you 70 stainless generic barber blades!
Besides that, yes. Living in a salty environment is a pain in the arse. I can't own paper books, and electronics commit suicide after a year. But I got the ocean almost at my doorstep.

I prefer the ceramic replaceable blades, but you portray a supply/spares issue, so a single piece low rust item was a suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom